Clueless Columbia 1L look for Dallas summer positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sogui

Clueless Columbia 1L look for Dallas summer positions

Postby Sogui » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Here's the gist:

- 0 real work experience, straight out of UT's business school
- Non-URM

I have no idea which firms are actually accepting 1L's, which firms are only accepting URM 1L's, or only 1L's with a solid work history, etc... every website has just a boilerplate paragraph about how awesome their summer program is.

My private sector career adviser was completely convinced that since I would only be competing against my Alma mater for summer positions, my CLS status would get me a foot in the door almost anywhere.

I remain skeptical but of course I would still love a paying job in Dallas this summer, I've got my resume and CV just about ready...

How do you find out which firms take 1L's for summer associate programs? Spam to every recruiter in the area code?

iShotFirst

Re: Clueless Columbia 1L look for Dallas summer positions

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:34 pm

First place to look would be

--LinkRemoved--

type in city and select the state, then go down to 'Organizations that hire' and select 1Ls.

That will give you 11 firms.

Then I'd search for all Dallas firms and look at their pages, some will say Hire 1Ls "TBD", probably means no ITE but might be worth adding them to your list.

All the info for where to send the resume etc will be on the page, also you can do a 'mail merge' but personally that is too confusing for me.

Good luck!

Sogui

Re: Clueless Columbia 1L look for Dallas summer positions

Postby Sogui » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:06 pm

iShotFirst wrote:First place to look would be

--LinkRemoved--

type in city and select the state, then go down to 'Organizations that hire' and select 1Ls.

That will give you 11 firms.

Then I'd search for all Dallas firms and look at their pages, some will say Hire 1Ls "TBD", probably means no ITE but might be worth adding them to your list.

All the info for where to send the resume etc will be on the page, also you can do a 'mail merge' but personally that is too confusing for me.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. This site is so much better than the NYC-focused stuff on our career services.

Return to “Legal Employment”