job prospects out of hastings/davis Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AntiHuman

Bronze

job prospects out of hastings/davis

Post by AntiHuman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm assuming they are somewhat similar in terms of job prospects and prestige in Cali, but I probably want to work in a SF medium-big sized firm. Anyone have statistics on median incomes or other links that could be helpful? Is the career services page on their websites even valid or do people think they are misleading(with regards to the statistics they post)?

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: job prospects out of hastings/davis

Post by dissonance1848 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm

There have already been a few threads about this, search the forums. General rule of thumb this year at OCI was that Davis did somewhat better than Hastings, in part because it has a smaller class and also because people are competing over a greater part of California (Hastings people are overwhelmingly shooting for the Bay Area from what I have read).

Step right up folks if what I have said is incomplete or inaccurate.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 pm

AntiHuman wrote:I'm assuming they are somewhat similar in terms of job prospects and prestige in Cali, but I probably want to work in a SF medium-big sized firm. Anyone have statistics on median incomes or other links that could be helpful? Is the career services page on their websites even valid or do people think they are misleading(with regards to the statistics they post)?
Did you try looking halfway down the threads list?

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Last edited by eth3n on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:35 am

eth3n wrote:While Davis OCI may have slightly outstripped Hastings, it was no party over here. Anecdotally, assuming OCI doesn't change at all, I would not feel *safe* at Davis OCI unless I was top10% if we are talking about firm work in SF.

Hope you like the odds.
Even small firm work?

Carnival1860

New

Post by Carnival1860 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Bay Area is extremely tough this year, and will probably remain one of the toughest legal markets for the next few years. From what I collected from my UCH/UCD friends, its like that Hastings is still better if you only want SF. But Davis has Sacramento, which is must less competitive than SF and still belongs to the Greater Bay Area. I feel its a pretty hard decision. I would probably take Hastings because I love SF so much. That has nothing to do with how difficult it is to break into mid/big law from Hastings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”