Thoughts about living in DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts about living in DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 am

I'm from Chicago and have only been to DC once (for an interview), but will be working there for a year. All I keep hearing is about how hood and ghetto DC is (and the outrageous crime rates). The ideal quality of life I would like to have is something like living in Chicago or NYC. From everything I've heard about DC, DC is not going to be like that. Anybody from DC (or that has lived there at some point) have opinions on the general quality of life out in DC (i.e. how are things like the night-life, bars, etc)?

I guess in sum, I'm in my late 20s and would like to be able to go out and have a good time, similar to how it is living in Chicago. Will DC at least be somewhat enjoyable/liveable?

jr8966

Re: Thoughts about living in DC?

Postby jr8966 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:59 am

It is true that DC crime can be a problem, but it really is isolated to certain parts of town. Most people tend to hangout in Dupont, Eastern Market, and N. Virginia. You can also go to Adam's Morgan if you really want to get really hammered, but your chances of getting mugged will increase if you are wondering around alone. (Ask Kal Penn) While in DC for three and a half years I just took the proper precautions when I went out at night.

DC is truly a great place to live. So many events every weekend, and you never know who you will run into since the city really is not that big.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 am

Living in DC probably sucks. Young people from all over the country move to DC, which I can't imagine correlates with a strong night life and bar scene. But on the bright side, crime shouldn't be a concern since you can now get a gun to defend yourself. See District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 (2008).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 am

Yeah, just like almost every other city that people call "hood" and "ghetto," DC is fine if you take the proper precautions and stay away from certain areas.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:44 am

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 am

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 am

There's also quite a bit of nightlife in Georgetown if that's your type of scene.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:02 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:09 am

if u'r an UG, under 23, and wear ur collar popped up, gtown is your scene.

Lived in the area for years. Area is douchey as hell, even if you are in UG, under 23, and wear a popped collar.

Even living there sucks. And it's overpriced. There's a reason this website exists:

http://www.drunkengeorgetownstudents.com/

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
if u'r an UG, under 23, and wear ur collar popped up, gtown is your scene.

Lived in the area for years. Area is douchey as hell, even if you are in UG, under 23, and wear a popped collar.

Even living there sucks. And it's overpriced. There's a reason this website exists:

http://www.drunkengeorgetownstudents.com/

Good luck catching a cab out of there after dark if you aren't the description above...

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from Chicago and have only been to DC once (for an interview), but will be working there for a year. All I keep hearing is about how hood and ghetto DC is (and the outrageous crime rates). The ideal quality of life I would like to have is something like living in Chicago or NYC. From everything I've heard about DC, DC is not going to be like that. Anybody from DC (or that has lived there at some point) have opinions on the general quality of life out in DC (i.e. how are things like the night-life, bars, etc)?

I guess in sum, I'm in my late 20s and would like to be able to go out and have a good time, similar to how it is living in Chicago. Will DC at least be somewhat enjoyable/liveable?

DC is broken up into 4 quadrants: NW, NE, SE, SW (which for argument's sake we won't consider). As far as crime is concerned, from most sketchy to least sketchy, you've got NE/SE (probably a tie...for the most part) > NW. Stay away from NE/SE (Eastern Market is nice, however, if you wander off into NE/SE you'll probably get mugged...which has happened to quite a few people I know who live in those areas...so consensus being stick to the beaten path). Otherwise, NW is pretty sweet, but it depends upon what you're looking for...Adams Morgan is tons of fun (typical bar scene), but probably not as safe as DuPont (which is ridiculously expensive and tends to be more "upscale-type" dining/bars). Foggy Bottom/West End is basically the GW campus, but there are some nice (quiet) spots there and it's an easy walk downtown. Logan Circle is kind of close to some sketchy areas, but cheaper and pretty fun/safe/easy walk downtown. And as some of the other posters said, Georgetown is pretty, but as a 20-something you probably don't want to live there unless 1) you've got tons of money, 2) you don't tend to venture out much, and 3) you don't mind living in an area that is totally unaccessible to the rest of the district.

DC has its pros/cons. I, for one, love it. Do a little research and I'm sure you'll find a good spot. So long as you stay away from NE/SE, you're generally in good shape.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 am

Agree with Shrimpin, but I also want to point out that I lived in both Northeast and Southeast and never had any problems. Mind your own business, don't walk around alone after midnight, don't be flashy, and be alert. You'll be fine. Also, can't really speak for SE, but there are actually some really nice places with gated access and everything in Northeast...like a ghetto oasis lol.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:DC has its pros/cons. I, for one, love it. Do a little research and I'm sure you'll find a good spot. So long as you stay away from NE/SE, you're generally in good shape.

:lol: @ "DC is great, just avoid 3/4 of the city."

I know that isn't what you meant, but I could see someone getting that impression.

Your assessment was on point. I just want to add a few things. For one thing, the DC city boundaries aren't that relevant to most TLS readers moving there as lawyers-to-be. The SW quadrant of the city barely exists, but Northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria) is basically the fourth quadrant. From where I grew up on Capitol Hill in NE, NoVA was always more accessible than many other parts of DC proper. Conversely, the part of SE DC that's across the Anacostia river is irrelevant. They straight up leave it off tourist maps. It's a lot nicer (read: gentrified) than it was ten years ago, but it's still a large reason for DC's high(er) crime statistics. Yet I'm quite certain there are yuppies living all throughout NW that have never glimpsed this part of the city, even from a car. So don't worry about it.

It's too broad to say someone should avoid NE/SE. Not only are certain neighborhoods like Capitol Hill (NE/SE) and Eastern Market (SE) legitimately nice, and only getting more gentrified by the minute, but it would take you forever to walk from either area until you got to somewhere unsafe. The places you'd find yourself might not have great restaurants, etc. but they aren't dangerous, and NW is easily accessible from many of them via the Metro.

edit: saw your last post, want to add that the Brookland area (Catholic U) is indeed a little sketchy. That area (upper NE) and across the river SE are the two to avoid unless you like living on the frontier.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Agree with Shrimpin, but I also want to point out that I lived in both Northeast and Southeast and never had any problems. Mind your own business, don't walk around alone after midnight, don't be flashy, and be alert. You'll be fine. Also, can't really speak for SE, but there are actually some really nice places with gated access and everything in Northeast...like a ghetto oasis lol.

There are also nice places in in SE near Capitol hill. As long as you are north/west of the Anacostia it isn't too bad. As a general rule, the neighborhoods look worse than they are but you do have to be careful at night everywhere.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Personally I'm a big fan of Mt. Pleasant and the U Street area

As others have said there is crime in DC, but not materially more than any other city. I've been going out in DC literally just about every weekend since 2007 and never had a problem - and thats all over the place (Dupont, Gtown, Cleveland Park, Mt Pleasant, U St, Columbia Heights, etc....)

If you're uber scared of crime, I'd recommend hitting up the suburbs- I lived in Bethesda for almost a year and thats probably the least likely place in the US where you'll be mugged

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

just my .02...

Don't forget how close Northern Virginia is from DC. Many people don't realize that, for example, parts of Arlington are 1 metro stop away from GW whereas significant portions of NW DC are actually further away.
With very few exceptions, NoVa is safe. It also has its own night life / food options if you want to avoid DC (and DC taxes). If you're a bit further south in Virginia you run into old town alexandria, which is really nice and has a number of bars/pubs. Rosslyn / Clarendon have a lot of food options as well as theaters etc. All of those areas have public transit, though they would require use of the metro whereas many places within DC proper are totally walkable.

DC is actually much safer than people give it credit for. A huge portion of the crime takes places SE of the river and does not necessarily spill over into the rest of DC. I know plenty of people that live in what is technically SE (cap hill / stadium Armory) who haven't had any problems.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:03 pm

I love DC, and was only mugged at gunpoint once! You'll learn the neighborhoods quickly. It's a young person's town. Pretty good nightlife, lots of theatre, concerts, museums.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 pm

didnt you say you live in Chicago?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Be aware that DC is a block by block city. You can be walking on a great block in Capitol Hill and the very next block will be sketchy as shit. Don't extrapolate neighborhood quality from brokers or buildings saying that they are in any given neighborhood. (Adams Morgan, etc.) You need to see it for yourself.

I used to live in Adams Morgan just north of Columbia Road and loved it. The Mt. Pleasant area, just to the NE of that, is also pretty young, awesome, and relatively affordable, and has a distinct Latin flavor to it (which I liked, being from California). The downside to these two neighborhoods is that they are not close to any metro line so you are stuck taking either the 42 bus or the 16th street buses (the S lines).

Also, I understand that Adams Morgan has been getting rougher over the last year and a half, with several shootings on 18th street last year. AdamsMo is a big bar area so there was always a certain level of alcohol related fight assault charges or muggings of people too drunk for their own good, but friends in the neighborhood tell me this is changing. They tell me that some of the crime is being pushed over from 16th-14th street blocks where it used to be really sketchy, but a rash of condo building around the Columbia Heights metro has gentrified the neighborhood, making MPD actually enforce around the area-hence the crime rolling over. That said, I'd definitely still consider living in AdamsMo.

I've also lived in Foggy Bottom because I went to GW. Don't live in Foggy Bottom. Or, for that matter, Dupont, Gtown, or anywhere west of Rock Creek Park, unless you don't mind paying Manhattan rents for a decidedly un-Manhattan living experience. I've never been a huge fan of the Hill but there are some nice places around Eastern Market and the Barracks Row area. The problem is that it's isolated from all the other neighborhoods-like living on an island.

One note about H St. NE: this is the 'up and coming' area in DC. Think of it as Brooklyn before Brooklyn was cool again. It's still much too sketchy for my taste, but some people swear by it. They are putting in a street car line which is driving a lot of this gentrification. My view is that I would consider H St. if I was buying real estate, but it's not nice enough yet for me to consider renting there. Some hipster is going to come along and flame me for saying H St. is sketchy, but it still is.

I live in NOVA now, in Alexandria. I love Alexandria to death. There's also Arlington, which I don't prefer but has a more urban feel, but (IMO) a fake, midrise condo type of urbanity. If you are considering NOVA, visit each and you'll immediately know which you prefer. The thing with NOVA is that you have to metro into DC, but I don't find this to be a problem. It's as quick for me to take the Yellow Line into the areas where I would go out in as it used to be for me to take the 42 bus from Adams Morgan. BTW, if you haven't attended LS yet and are considering UVA, you'd be an idiot not to live in NOVA given the residency advantages.

Man this got long. Hope it helps.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:30 pm

tag for all this DC info. thx homies!

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

I lived in DC for an internship last fall and it was great. I was in Eastern Market which has a few decent bars and lots of places to eat all in walking distance. In addition, there is a great public market where DC-celebs like Sonia Sotomayer can be seen shopping. For the most part, I never felt unsafe.

Public transit is great and relatively clean. Tons of free stuff to do, including the Smithsonians and monument tours. Also, the Spy Museum and the Newseum are great.

Nightlife in Adams Morgan and Dupont is a lot of fun. Lots of young people, good variety of places to go.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:31 pm

One note about H St. NE: this is the 'up and coming' area in DC. Think of it as Brooklyn before Brooklyn was cool again. It's still much too sketchy for my taste, but some people swear by it. They are putting in a street car line which is driving a lot of this gentrification. My view is that I would consider H St. if I was buying real estate, but it's not nice enough yet for me to consider renting there. Some hipster is going to come along and flame me for saying H St. is sketchy, but it still is.

H Street is an awesome place to go out and party - Rock n Roll Hotel, H St. Country Club, and the other place whose name I can't remember for some reason are all great places to have a good time. I wouldn't want to live there personally because it is a rough area, but moreso because of the lack of metro access.

As far as the area west of Rock Creek Park, I wouldn't say its all bad. Sure there are ridiculously priced places (my GF's building wanted to raise her rent in Woodley to $2500 for a 1BR), but in Cleveland Park and Van Ness (if you don't mind being near UDCTTTTTTTT) you can find quality places at a low price.

npe

Postby npe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Rock and Roll Hotel is awesome; H Street CC is where frat boys and hipsters find common ground (which means I pretty much hate it there).

I like it here okay, but if I could go anywhere after school it'd probably be Chicago. COL:QOL ratio is better than anywhere else I've been.

Return to “Legal Employment”