Employment for "older" new JDs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Given his circumstances, what should OP do

Retake, shoot for T14 (or T25 with more cash)
82%
Don't retake, stay put
18%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Employment for "older" new JDs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous because I've was accepted somewhere last cycle and granted a deferral, and I don't want them to be offended by my thinking on this topic. Posting in this forum because it deals with employment. That being said:

I'm a URM, and I'm already in with cash at a T25. I was waitlisted at a T14 and a school ranked 15-18. I have $70k in educational debt already, and am sucking wind at the thought of $160k total in debt after graduating from a non-T14 school. I am considering declining my deferral, and retaking the LSAT in the hopes of applying to T14 schools such as Northwestern, Virginia, Cornell, and Georgetown.

Here's the rub. For sure I want to practice law; no conflict about that. However, I'm already in my mid-30s, and am wondering how reticient top law firms and government agencies are about hiring new associates who will be in their late 30s upon graduation, even if they have a T14 degree. I am hoping to get some input on this from attorneys who work for biglaw firms or the federal government, before deciding whether to retake or not.

I've added a poll. If you vote, please share your rationale with me.

olderapplicant

Re: Employment for "older" new JDs

Postby olderapplicant » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm older. I had no problem getting a summer job - both government and biglaw opportunities. Currently at T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks @olderapplicant. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Know four 2Ls over 35 at my T-14. 3 have Biglaw SAs next summer, the other is interested in PI. Of the 3, 1 has IP background, 1 has business background, 1 has education background. From my experience, I think it was a little tougher for me to land my SA than it would have been were I similarly situated but younger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have decided to retake. Going big or going home.

Return to “Legal Employment”