JAG Question...will the military pay for...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Seally
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Seally » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 pm

stefpup wrote:
Seally wrote:
stefpup wrote:Officers also bank a lot of money so you could have a substantial savings if/when you get out.


Not all Officers bank a lot, that is "IF" you get promoted to higher ranks.
Ranking up becomes even more competitive as it goes up.
Many are stuck at Major and never go beyond it.
Very good paying ranks are above Major, always, but only a minority can reach them.

But at least you have good hours in JAG, decent travel opportunities, very good benefits etc...
I don't mind getting paid 90k/year on average + all benefits and good hours in JAG.

But if you are a "gold-digging-cash-cow", BigLaw/F500 In-House is where it's at.
Military never pays well, even Physicians and Dentists are getting ripped off, especially Surgeons(No, going through studies and massive stress till 35 of age just to avg 150k + shit hours and no freedom is not worth it.)


I'm not sure how much exposure you've had with military medicine or law but there's a reason you get people to work so "cheap" and that's because no real experience is necessary. If you mess up no one can sue you so there's no worries about insurance or anything else (which is a big concern for medical).

The military is a guaranteed paycheck that pays for full medical, your house and your food before it even starts in on your base pay. For that level of security and the ability to do jobs that in the civilian world you would be completely unqualified to do isn't really working for cheap, I think.



Never said Military was a bad choice for JAGs, just not for everyone.

Yes, IT IS a bad choice for any Dentist/Physician, the pay is lame and the working hours are just as bad.
+ Some Physicians/Dentists have bad exposure and reputation in some bases.

Yeah sure, it's a guaranteed paycheck, but i'm not dumb enough to go through hardcore studies and sacrifices till i'm 35 and wasted all my best years down the rain to get told

"Hey boy, we pay your debts, but you will make 60% less than Civilian Physicians while having similar hours and less schedule stability, hope you're happy.Oh, and you're stuck with us for 10 years."

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby 2LLLL » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 pm

I apologize if someone else has said this, but there is a student at my school who is currently a Lieutenant of some kind in the US Navy. The USN not only pays his tuition, but also pays his normal salary while he is in school. He also has obviously not had to deal with summer job stress, for 1L or 2L.

That being said, this guy went to the Naval Academy, and had to sign up for another term of service (5 years I think) after completing his first to get the deal. Also, it is apparently competitive within the service to get this posting.

So, that being said, its hooked up but you really would have to start planning at like age 17 to get it.

User avatar
Seally
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Seally » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm

2LLLL wrote:I apologize if someone else has said this, but there is a student at my school who is currently a Lieutenant of some kind in the US Navy. The USN not only pays his tuition, but also pays his normal salary while he is in school. He also has obviously not had to deal with summer job stress, for 1L or 2L.

That being said, this guy went to the Naval Academy, and had to sign up for another term of service (5 years I think) after completing his first to get the deal. Also, it is apparently competitive within the service to get this posting.

So, that being said, its hooked up but you really would have to start planning at like age 17 to get it.


This guy will be a slave when he will graduate, he basically sold his soul to the Military, i hope he thought twice about this...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:11 pm

If you are applying for Army JAG, be aware that if accepted you will almost certainly be facing AT LEAST a one year delay from the time you graduate/take the bar before you can actually begin training. It's ridiculous, but that's just the way it is. So, you will have to figure out some temporary back up job in the meantime (which is pretty tough if you want it to be legal and paying...firms, etc. are very hesitatnt to hire people committed to the military, as I found out at this year's OCI).

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 pm


This guy will be a slave when he will graduate, he basically sold his soul to the Military, i hope he thought twice about this...




So I guess you missed the part where he attended the Naval Academy out of high school, and then decided to reenlist for a second term once his first expired. Pretty sure that this guy likes being in the military.

You, on the other hand, might want to check you reading comprehension skills.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 pm

2LLLL wrote:

This guy will be a slave when he will graduate, he basically sold his soul to the Military, i hope he thought twice about this...




So I guess you missed the part where he attended the Naval Academy out of high school, and then decided to reenlist for a second term once his first expired. Pretty sure that this guy likes being in the military.

You, on the other hand, might want to check you reading comprehension skills.


Image

Because I couldn't find one that said grammar...

User avatar
jchoggan
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 am

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby jchoggan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Seally wrote:
2LLLL wrote:I apologize if someone else has said this, but there is a student at my school who is currently a Lieutenant of some kind in the US Navy. The USN not only pays his tuition, but also pays his normal salary while he is in school. He also has obviously not had to deal with summer job stress, for 1L or 2L.

That being said, this guy went to the Naval Academy, and had to sign up for another term of service (5 years I think) after completing his first to get the deal. Also, it is apparently competitive within the service to get this posting.

So, that being said, its hooked up but you really would have to start planning at like age 17 to get it.


This guy will be a slave when he will graduate, he basically sold his soul to the Military, i hope he thought twice about this...

Anybody who went to a service academy (incurring a 5-yr service commitment), then went through FLEP or another equivalent program to do law school on the cheap (incurring another 6-yr service commitment) certainly 'thought twice' about it. It's a long application process, and it's competitive. They generally have to know what they're getting themselves into.

I knocked the program earlier in this thread, but those guys have it a billion times better than kids who pile on $150-$200K in loans and end up without a job, or the idiots kids who KNOW they won't get a market paying job and bury themselves in loans assuming loan forgiveness will bail them out. Even the people who do end up with market-paying jobs are essentially 'slaves' who 'sell their souls' to Biglaw (myself included). Is it really that much better?

While FLEP and the other services' equivalents aren't necessarily the best programs, being a JAG isn't all that bad, and coming from a service academy gives you a bit of a heads' up in terms of what you're getting yourself into.

User avatar
npe
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby npe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Image

Because I couldn't find one that said grammar...

CHECK YOU ATL MEMES.

User avatar
Seally
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Seally » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:44 pm

2LLLL wrote:

This guy will be a slave when he will graduate, he basically sold his soul to the Military, i hope he thought twice about this...




So I guess you missed the part where he attended the Naval Academy out of high school, and then decided to reenlist for a second term once his first expired. Pretty sure that this guy likes being in the military.

You, on the other hand, might want to check you reading comprehension skills.



No need to get close man, i know that this guy must like Military, i checked my reading comprehension skills, might want to check your spelling skills next time you want to be an E-THUG.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:31 am

I agree with you on this. I had a friend who attended the Naval Academy...but he was only in for the initial required 5 year commitment and then he left. He will tell you that he liked it...but he also liked having zero student loan debt...and he likes not being owned by the military anymore. So yes...he used Uncle Sam for a free education. Nothing wrong with that.

You really do have to start planning for this at age 17 or younger...I know thats exactly what he did. And yes...it's super competitive...an Academy appointment (of any kind) and a FLEP spot in the end.

He and I are the same age (in our mid-30's) and I went to an ivy-undergrad and ivy-grad school...so we are both smart guys, but I NEVER liked the idea of being "owned" by the government. Maybe some people do and there is nothing wrong with that...but thats just not me. I would rather take out the loan money and pay it back myself.

I especially would not join the military and be a doctor. What a waste of all that time and effort--and to be paid absolute peanuts!

2LLLL wrote:I apologize if someone else has said this, but there is a student at my school who is currently a Lieutenant of some kind in the US Navy. The USN not only pays his tuition, but also pays his normal salary while he is in school. He also has obviously not had to deal with summer job stress, for 1L or 2L.

That being said, this guy went to the Naval Academy, and had to sign up for another term of service (5 years I think) after completing his first to get the deal. Also, it is apparently competitive within the service to get this posting.

So, that being said, its hooked up but you really would have to start planning at like age 17 to get it.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Seally wrote:
stefpup wrote:Officers also bank a lot of money so you could have a substantial savings if/when you get out.


Not all Officers bank a lot, that is "IF" you get promoted to higher ranks.
Ranking up becomes even more competitive as it goes up.
Many are stuck at Major and never go beyond it.
Very good paying ranks are above Major, always, but only a minority can reach them.

But at least you have good hours in JAG, decent travel opportunities, very good benefits etc...
I don't mind getting paid 90k/year on average + all benefits and good hours in JAG.

But if you are a "gold-digging-cash-cow", BigLaw/F500 In-House is where it's at.
Military never pays well, even Physicians and Dentists are getting ripped off, especially Surgeons(No, going through studies and massive stress till 35 of age just to avg 150k + shit hours and no freedom is not worth it.)



I wouldn't say that the military "never pays well". I'm currently a lieutenant commander in the Navy (equivalent to a major in the Army/Air Force/Marine Corps), and my gross pay is $120k/year. Considering the fact that $30k/year of that isn't taxable, that's actually equivalent to closer to $130k/year in the private sector. Add in the fact that I also have full medical/dental with no copays or deductibles, and it's an even better deal.

For the OP, if you decide to join and go for the FLEP program, be aware that if you're turned down for FLEP, that's not necessarily the end of the story. A friend of mine from my first squadron was initially turned down for FLEP, but when she pointed out that she had been offered a full ride to law school, the FLEP coordinator changed his mind and accepted her anyway, since it wasn't going to cost the Navy anything to send her to law school, other than moving her and her household goods to/from the city where she'd be attending.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:03 pm

This is off topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread for it:

Does anyone know if JAG is easier for women to get into? I imagine there are far less women than men applying for a spot, but I'm not sure if that matters.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: JAG Question...will the military pay for...

Postby kk19131 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm

You want to be a JAG off?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.