do a judicial extern in a region I dont intend to practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eberl032

do a judicial extern in a region I dont intend to practice?

Postby eberl032 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am

judicial extern where my family is (i.e. free summer) or keep trying to get something in the state where i want to practice after graduation (the two states are nowhere near each other)?

Thoughts?

UCLAtransfer

Re: do a judicial extern in a region I dont intend to practice?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Federal or state court? Is it in a major city?

mobilelawoffice

Postby mobilelawoffice » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Depends on your grades and chances of getting something near where you intend to practice, and of course whether it is your first or second summer.

If it is your first summer, it probably isnt too big a deal either way, although a different offer where you intend to practice can turn into an ongoing invite to return again and again until you graduate and then into a job. But that is unlikely from a first summer offer.

If you think the offer you have will be a good resume booster (e.g. dont already have a court listed on your resume), and that its something you think you'd enjoy trying out for a summer, by all means feel free to accept the offer.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Depends on the target/home market. If you want to work in an insular market, I would work there over the summer especially if your externship is in a major city. If your target market is like NY, DC, then do whatever 1L.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 pm

It's is my 1L summer. It's a federal judge in Minneapolis. I'd like to practice in Dallas. I just dont want to turn it down and end up with nothing.

Did you guys practice 1L summer in the region you plan to work?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

I applied to judges in basically any city where I had a family couch to crash on. I ended up getting an offer in a city I didn't plan to practice in long term, but really enjoyed the experience and did end up applying to firms there for this summer (though in the end, I went elsewhere).

You'll have to address "why _____?" a time or two in interviews, but hey, it's something else to talk about for a few minutes.

Return to “Legal Employment”