JD/MBA instead of biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JD/MBA instead of biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on whether to pursue a JD/MBA or not. I'm currently at a HYS, 2L, and have v10 biglaw lined up for the summer. I have been having doubts as to whether I want to do law in the long run, but honestly I can't say for sure not having worked at a law firm.

I like the idea of management in the future, but am afraid of the $200k opportunity cost upfront. I have to decide rather quickly so I can ask previous employers about recs and take the GMATs. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: JD/MBA instead of biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

If you're going to a V10, it's probably easier to work in the transactional group and work some connections through your firm and work to go into finance or even management. MBA would, in my opinion, be a waste of time and money.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I'm looking for opinions on whether to pursue a JD/MBA or not. I'm currently at a HYS, 2L, and have v10 biglaw lined up for the summer. I have been having doubts as to whether I want to do law in the long run, but honestly I can't say for sure not having worked at a law firm.

I like the idea of management in the future, but am afraid of the $200k opportunity cost upfront. I have to decide rather quickly so I can ask previous employers about recs and take the GMATs. Thoughts?

Generally, a JD/MBA isn't a good investment unless you have specific, well-thought out goals that require a JD/MBA. You have a good biglaw gig lined up for the summer. Go there try a mix of transactional practice areas and see if there is an area you like. Plenty of people don't end up doing law for the long-term, but you'll have great opportunities from both your school, and more importantly, your work experience at a V10.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm

You have to make a decision. Do you want to be a lawyer or not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 pm

OP here

Being a lawyer? I don't know what sort of work I'll be doing yet, so I can't say if I'll like it or not. I know that I don't enjoy reading cases, if that's of any help. What I don't want to happen is for me to work for a couple years, wake up one morning and decide that I really hate what I'm doing, then apply to business schools over again. I don't really want to start at the bottom of the totem pole twice. On the other hand, would I regret spending an extra year + extra money for the MBA 5 or 10 years down into my career? I don't want to let a golden opportunity pass me by (from what I hear, it's much easier to get into the mba program from the jd program). Anyway, I appreciate the replies.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

Being a lawyer? I don't know what sort of work I'll be doing yet, so I can't say if I'll like it or not. I know that I don't enjoy reading cases, if that's of any help. What I don't want to happen is for me to work for a couple years, wake up one morning and decide that I really hate what I'm doing, then apply to business schools over again. I don't really want to start at the bottom of the totem pole twice. On the other hand, would I regret spending an extra year + extra money for the MBA 5 or 10 years down into my career? I don't want to let a golden opportunity pass me by (from what I hear, it's much easier to get into the mba program from the jd program). Anyway, I appreciate the replies.

1) If you're a 2L, how are you going to do an MBA with an extra year - most JD/MBA's are 1L, 1st yr MBA, combined 2L/MBA, combined 3L/MBA . . . so, if you're currently a 2L, you're looking at 2 more years. Also, will your MBA program allow for you to apply in your 2d year.

2) Do you have work experience? If you don't, then an MBA isn't going to be but so helpful.

3) If you have several years as a lawyer at a V10 firm, and you're entrepreneurial, you can switch from law to business without having to go back for an MBA.

4) You can spend a few years as an associate at your V10, go in-house counsel, and work your way over to a business line.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:28 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Also, will your MBA program allow for you to apply in your 2d year.

Some do. Harvard last I checked does not, however, so if OP is at H, he needs to rethink his plans (or her plans).

Also, OP, I hope you are at Yale or have very good work experience. Even coming from the law school it is quite hard to get into the JD/MBA programs at H and S - I have several friends who tried (and only two of whom succeeded).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 pm

4) You can spend a few years as an associate at your V10, go in-house counsel, and work your way over to a business line.

OP again.

This is what I'm wondering about: If this is really the case, then it might not be worth the $200k opportunity cost to do the JD/MBA. But I'm not sure of the probability of something like this happening. Wouldn't an company bring you in as in-house counsel? How do you move from doing legal work to management?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Consider pursuing an "executive MBA" after you have 5 years of work experience. Executive MBA programs offer significantly better contacts & course "content" for those with accomplished work experience. Most executive MBA programs meet on alternate weekends & for a solid week during the summer. Typically most, if not all, students are employed full-time & their companies pay the one time tuition. Also, quite often, your classmates can hire you.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm bookmarking this thread as my answer to the question, "but why shouldn't I go to law school straight from undergrad?"

Return to “Legal Employment”