Accounting/Auditing Litigation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accounting/Auditing Litigation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 am

I am a CPA with several years of Big 4 audit experience, set to pursue a career in law. As one of the possibilities, I want to explore the the field of audit litigation (auditor malpractice) and wanted to see if anyone here has some exposure to this area.

Is there a large legal market for audit litigation?
How hard is this market to enter and what would increase my chances in doing so?

Any other related information will be appreciated.

crazycanuck

Re: Accounting/Auditing Litigation

Postby crazycanuck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 pm

I would imagine it's pretty small and hard to break into.

Only major scandel that I can think of that required litigation was Arther Anderson. Usually if there is a case of malpractice there is just a restatement and the auditor gets fired.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 pm

I am the OP.

The high profile audit malpractice cases that make the news are not the only ones that are out there. While working for the big 4, I heard about legal disputes with our former clients constantly. Besides, it is probably safe to assume that the majority of audit disputes do not involve the big 4 (who have a very robust audit procedure and go out of their way to protect themselves from litigation), but the smaller firms or outright incompetent amateurs who think that getting a CPA license qualifies them to sign off on any audit opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am the OP.

The high profile audit malpractice cases that make the news are not the only ones that are out there. While working for the big 4, I heard about legal disputes with our former clients constantly. Besides, it is probably safe to assume that the majority of audit disputes do not involve the big 4 (who have a very robust audit procedure and go out of their way to protect themselves from litigation), but the smaller firms or outright incompetent amateurs who think that getting a CPA license qualifies them to sign off on any audit opinion.

I dunno, I work at a big 4 and i imagine it would fall to the usual contract dispute types.

*shrug*

McBean

Postby McBean » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am the OP.

I dunno, I work at a big 4 and i imagine it would fall to the usual contract dispute types.

*shrug*

Usually it involves shareholder suits or anyone else who feels like they were screwed by the company and think the auditor should have picked up on it; i.e. malpractice. I would imagine that the market for auditor defense coincides with the market in general. I would also imagine that within each market you find firms who have most of the share of that niche.

Outside of NY, I have no idea, but I know that in NY, Orrick has quite an auditor defense practice and reps all of the Big 4.

Return to “Legal Employment”