Most associate jobs can & will be outsourced

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
scribblehead

Most associate jobs can & will be outsourced

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Associates will soon go the way of the dinosaur:

http://www.lawyersweekly.ca/index.php?s ... cleid=1142

This article should give pause to anyone considering law school. These serfs in Bangalore will churn the same cut n' paste slop and review the same ultra-boring documents for "dimes on the dollar."

By attending law school, you're training for a "career" that likely will no longer exist. The new business model is a few partners in the US and squads of serfs in India churning the slop, drivel and hogwash that masquerade as the "practice of law."

Cavalier

Re: Most associate jobs can & will be outsourced

Postby Cavalier » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm not even sure who is supposed to get riled up at these flames anymore. I mean, is this supposed to provoke a response from clueless OL's, or is the OP trying to draw out posters who will argue that clueless OL's will go to law school regardless of how dire the situation may or may not be?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:Will most Legal Employment topics be outsourced to the LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum, or just this one?

+1
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do they keep spamming so poorly.... a little thought would make it better for them.

IBTB

ETA: um, its a website dedicated to Canadian lawyers... even better :lol: :lol: :lol:

thegarciab0y

Postby thegarciab0y » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Not to boast about TLS or anything but a good majority of them/us are going to top law schools with 99% job placement statistics

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

That article doesn't really apply to the US because US firms are not publicly traded corporations as they are in Canada.

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 pm

fosterp wrote:That article doesn't really apply to the US because US firms are not publicly traded corporations as they are in Canada.

Might want to brush up a little on your research skills:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424085117

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:58 pm

well, damn it, guess i better go apply at KFC now

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:01 pm

fosterp wrote:well, damn it, guess i better go apply at KFC now

There's always government jobs. Sadly, for deputy AG's in new jersey the salary is 0 dollars:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist/200 ... teers.html

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:18 pm

This should only be a problem for those who want big money + big law. Even then, it's not going to completely replace jobs there, though it might hurt a bit.

PI, government, and a variety of other lawyer tasks cannot be outsourced.

Humans evolved long before the development of technology, so personal contact still matters to most people.

Sheldon Coopers are still relatively rare, and it's not like they have tons of offspring, so this state of affairs is not likely to change much. :lol:

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm

niederbomb wrote:This should only be a problem for those who want big money + big law. Even then, it's not going to completely replace jobs there, though it might hurt a bit.

PI, government, and a variety of other lawyer tasks cannot be outsourced.

Humans evolved long before the development of technology, so personal contact still matters to most people.

Sheldon Coopers are still relatively rare, and it's not like they have tons of offspring, so this state of affairs is not likely to change much. :lol:

Wrong. Even low-level shitlaw areas are being outsourced:

http://www.legalsupportglobal.com/

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Project managers in law is something I can buy but I highly doubt that outsourcing will be that big a deal. There simply aren't enough highly trained people in India/The Philippines/where ever right now to make this happen anytime soon. Then again, if you are doing a multi million/billion dollar deal would you want Indian workers hashing it out? Eventually, as we move to one world market and one world price then yes this will be an issue but we are decades away from it touching U.S. lawyers. Even when it does, more than likely, the shit work will be outsourced and the real value added activities will be imported to the U.S. from across the world, increasing lawyers salaries here (and especially partners' profits). The article doesn't take the argument to it's natural conclusion or to the example of what has happened in business.

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Might want to read this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... o8DnfekWZQ

The Indian lawyers are more than capable of doing substantive legal work at high quality levels.

Every one of these Indians is taking a job away from an american lawyer, probably in most cases a recent grad.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:40 pm

scribblehead wrote:Might want to read this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... o8DnfekWZQ

The Indian lawyers are more than capable of doing substantive legal work at high quality levels.

Every one of these Indians is taking a job away from an american lawyer, probably in most cases a recent grad.

I know you have strongly held belief and possibly the attention is fun, but I am not sure what this has to do with LSAT Prep/advice which is the purpose of this forum. You would do well to relocate this thread to the appropriate part of this forum.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:56 pm

whatever, doc review/dd and other mindless tasks should be outsourced/sent to the lowest bidder. Makes it cheaper for the client. Client can then allocate less money to legal battles and more towards acquisitions/R&D/job creation. sorry your t4 legal education didnt work out for you, OP. Protectionism and cheap appeals to nationalism aren't going to save you from the free market.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Omg... stop feeding this fool attention please.

scribblehead

Postby scribblehead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Another good read:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202473909000

Really hard to believe anyone would be delusional enough to APPLY to law school right now. Learning a skilled blue-collar trade would be far more likely to result in a living wage.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Anyone have an idea about outsourcing with respect to EE patent law? I heard that there were some rules and regulations that prevent outsourcing in that area.

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:01 pm

I remember when I was younger I really wanted to study computer science. I was even going to major in it in college. Then all these articles came out saying that CS is going the way of the dinosaur, that coders in India were taking all the CS jobs for "pennies on the dollar" and it was apocalypse now. So, even though I went to a university that had a top-3 computer science program, I didn't end up studying CS.

Long story short, all my friends that did now work at Google, Apple and Microsoft and make a ton of money and do what they love doing. Things worked out for me too, but I'm still really angry at myself for believing all the naysayers.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Goggle, Apple and Microsoft are the V3 of Compsci.

Sure, if you're at V10 law, you'll be safe because the erosion hasn't even reached V100 yet. Right now, it's just starting to erode shitlaw

Seally

Postby Seally » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:49 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Will most Legal Employment topics be outsourced to the LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum, or just this one?

+1
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do they keep spamming so poorly.... a little thought would make it better for them.

IBTB

ETA: um, its a website dedicated to Canadian lawyers... even better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the Canadian Legal Market is far more healthy than the U.S. one, so you can suck on it :lol:

OT: Legal jobs get outsourced, just like Medical jobs(Radiology, Pathology and other Lab related Specialties especially,) or Science research positions...
Outsourcing won't go to the point that the number of Lawyers without jobs will quadruple, firms are afraid of losing clients if they end up hearing that the people drafting their legalese are underpaid Indians.

Postby 83947368 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 am

this is for doc review right? firms have contract/staff attorneys already (they usually are in some hidden corner/basement of the office so you don't see them during your callbax), so i guess firms will try to outsource those first. i have no real opinion on the future of the practice of law, but i could see those being outsourced. it'll hit them, at least, before it hits associates, i'd wager

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 am

thegarciab0y wrote:Not to boast about TLS or anything but a good majority of them/us are going to top law schools with 99% job placement statistics

Love this quote. LOVE IT :lol:

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 pm

scribblehead wrote:Another good read:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202473909000

Really hard to believe anyone would be delusional enough to APPLY to law school right now. Learning a skilled blue-collar trade would be far more likely to result in a living wage.

No eye-hand coordination, no spatial ability. :lol:

I'm currently teaching English in a washed up industrial city in central Manchuria putting my summa cum laude degree in History to great use. Law school seems like a great alternative to continuing this way, especially since I could, if I choose to do so, go for free at any public law school in my state (which has a T30 and a T15).

This outsourcing, if it occurs, will be slow and gradual like the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs that has been taking place since the 1980's. Thus, it will probably affect lower-ranking schools a long time before it ever affects higher-ranking schools. By that time, a good portion of us who go to top U.S. and Canadian law schools will be out of law anyway.

Many of those who get Big Law eventually go into consulting and other more lucrative fields that like JD's but require a certain type of experience. A top school JD with the right kind of experience can, later down the road, open doors that would not open otherwise for certain categories of applicants (liberal arts majors, non-prestigious undergrad, etc.).

The mistake is people who think a JD will open doors immediately outside the practice of law. All the lawyers I know who went into other fields practiced law for a significant period of time first and then leveraged their experience to break into a better career. A JD by itself is useless outside the field of law. However, a JD with the right kind of experience can garner many opportunities in a variety of fields. .

So, the point is yes, law school CAN BE a good choice for some people. However, if you have other good options, a low LSAT score and a low GPA, then it's a stupid choice. If you don't have the former and do have the latter, it's still a stupid choice.

For some people, however, it's a natural and logical choice. Even Mid Law in Vancouver or Dallas is more respectable than teaching English in Asia

Return to “Legal Employment”