Harvard moves EIP up, start of classes back

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiseowl

Re: Harvard moves EIP up, start of classes back

Postby wiseowl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 pm

A&O wrote:
At my school's OCI, 2Ls and 3Ls were in the same interviewing rooms, and there's a finite number of slots. Whether you believe they compete down the road or not is one thing, but I can assure you that they were competing in bidding strategy at 2010 OCI.

It's not so much opinion as it is common sense and logic.

(1) People using the same interviewing rooms are necessarily competing against each other? That makes no sense. Finite number of slots? I'm not sure you know how the mechanics of 3L recruiting work.
(2) At least at my school, when a firm indicates that it wants to interview 3Ls in addition to 2Ls, they set aside a certain amount of interview slots for 3Ls and 3Ls only. You think 3Ls compete with 3Ls and 2Ls for interview slots? No. When the lottery occurs, 3Ls just compete with other 3Ls who bid for the same slots. The 2Ls don't compete with 3Ls for those spots because those slots weren't for 2Ls to begin with.
(3) And using the same room to interview is not indicative of anything.

You don't go to my school, and you don't know how it works at my school. What say you get a few more than 10 posts under your belt before you come in swinging around?

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 pm

You don't go to my school, and you don't know how it works at my school. What say you get a few more than 10 posts under your belt before you come in swinging around?

Since I know how my firm recruits 3Ls, it's not far-fetched either that (a) how my school handles 3L recruiting is probably how your school does it too and (b) how my firm handles 3L recruiting is also how other firms who do 3L recruiting handle it.

I never realized having more than 10 posts was a pre-requisite to being right here.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 pm

A&O wrote:

Since I know how my firm recruits 3Ls, it's not far-fetched either that (a) how my school handles 3L recruiting is probably how your school does it too and (b) how my firm handles 3L recruiting is also how other firms who do 3L recruiting handle it.

I never realized having more than 10 posts was a pre-requisite to being right here.

It's a prerequisite to having credibility. You can't just hop on here and start lecturing people on what you "know" is right and expect people to believe you, without them knowing who you are or where you come from or anything.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 pm

It's a prerequisite to having credibility. You can't just hop on here and start lecturing people on what you "know" is right and expect people to believe you, without them knowing who you are or where you come from or anything.

I didn't think a point this obvious required a high degree of credibility. Next time, before asserting that 1+1=2, I'll be sure to have 100 posts under my belt. I'll show them!

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Watch out BIGLAW, here comes A&O!!! :roll:

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 pm

wiseowl wrote:Watch out BIGLAW, here comes A&O!!! :roll:

I suppose insults and sarcasm support your point when you have over a thousand posts.

I learn something new about this place every day!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm

A&O wrote:

I suppose insults and sarcasm support your point when you have over a thousand posts.

is avoidance the better strategy? you never address my points :( it makes me feel pretty left out

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:16 pm

A&O wrote:

When you get 5000 posts, you get to change your avatar to a picture of a large phallus.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
A&O wrote:

When you get 5000 posts, you get to change your avatar to a picture of a large phallus.

You all should have seen that Kermit picture before he cropped it. VERY disturbing. But hey, Kohinoor earned it.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
A&O wrote:

is avoidance the better strategy? you never address my points :( it makes me feel pretty left out

It was probably because you had a legitimate point and I had nothing to say in response.
Kohinoor wrote:
A&O wrote:

I wonder what happens when I reach 10,000. Insta-credibility and avatar of said phallus?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 am

A&O wrote:I wonder what happens when I reach 10,000. Insta-credibility and avatar of said phallus?

At the rate you're going I'll be impressed if you reach 100.

Can we drop this tangent and get back to the topic at hand, please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 pm

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
A&O wrote:

Post count = credibility now? lulz

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I am curious for more thoughts on this.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:16 pm

A&O wrote:I am curious for more thoughts on this.

whats "this"? lol

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Actually, I just felt that the topic necessitated more discussion by popular demand.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 pm

A&O wrote:Actually, I just felt that the topic necessitated more discussion by popular demand.

and here i actually thought the topic was already stale, since it hadnt been bumped or commented on for awhile...lol smells like you just want to stir up trouble

also, my point not really addressed yet so, i mean a possibly 70's% of 2Ls @ EIP/ 2Ls who accepted EIP offers seems about right to me -- if thats the controversial part, then i guess discuss away

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I mean, I think the take away is that the job market is brutal wherever you are and even HLS is finally waking up and realizing it needs to do something. Yes, I think, in the long run, pushing the "arms race" further and further into the summer is bad for the profession as a whole, but I can't fault them for doing it.

Return to “Legal Employment”