1L Summer Gov't Jobs - in a state I don't want practice in

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Gov't Jobs - in a state I don't want practice in

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

How bad is it to work in a State AG / County DA office in a state other than the one your LS is in for your 1L summer job? I know what you do 1L doesn't generally matter as long as it is law related. I really want to work in government in the state my school is located in when I graduate.

However:

* My LS is ranked 40-60. I moved here because I wanted to work in this area; I had never lived here before but I intend to stay here for the rest of my life.

* I may have a connection or two that could land me work in a different state (i.e. in the one I am from originally).

* Neither state (home city/state or LS city/state) are NY.

*Different people (in OCS and among peers) have offered conflicting advice and I'm still unsure.

*EDIT Added in response to Q: I am definitely trying to find work where my school is first and it takes top priority. I haven't been rejected from any applications. However, ITE, I know I can't count on getting an internship at a local DA's office near my school (or, admittedly, anywhere for that matter) and just want to know my options are. This is all obviously moot if I land DA/City Atty/AG office near my school.

I am worried that by not getting work in this state and spending my summer in my previous state may send a message to employers that I don't intend to stick around; I am also (perhaps more validly) concerned that I would lose out on a valuable opportunity to establish connections here by not sticking around in the summer.

Thoughts? Advice? (Other than "study for Finals!" which I am already doing; I made sure to have resumes and cover letters ready ahead of time)

(P.S. I apologize ahead of time if this isn't considered an appropriate use of the anon feature, mods.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: 1L Summer Gov't Jobs - in a state I don't want practice in

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Why aren't you getting a job where your school is again?

soxfan08

Postby soxfan08 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 pm

I spent my 1L summer working for a judge in my home state (about 1,000 miles away from the state my school is in). I was able to land a 2L SA position in my law school's home market at a V20 (the big city I wanted to practice in). During OCI, I was never explicitly asked about why I went home for the summer, but I always made sure to mention (1) it was unpaid so I had to go somewhere I had free housing (ie lived at home for free); (2) it's hard finding a 1L summer job so I took the best opportunity I got offered; and (3) I moved 1,000 miles away from my home state in order to work in this city, which I want to work in for reasons X, Y, Z. I had several offers from the big city, and, ironically enough, had a much harder time convincing firms in my home state that I wanted to return home after I had picked a school so far away. In the end, it might have helped to have a 1L job in the market I wanted, but if you shape it in a positive and understandable way, I don't think it is a huge deal, particularly if the school is in a big market that is obviously superior to your home market (as was the case for me).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

rad law wrote:Why aren't you getting a job where your school is again?

OP Here. Sorry, forgot to specify this is just to cover my bases. I am definitely trying to find work where my school is first and it takes top priority. However, ITE, I know I can't count on getting an internship at a local DA's office near my school (or, admittedly, anywhere for that matter) and just want to know my options are.

I spent my 1L summer working for a judge in my home state (about 1,000 miles away from the state my school is in). I was able to land a 2L SA position in my law school's home market at a V20 (the big city I wanted to practice in). During OCI, I was never explicitly asked about why I went home for the summer, but I always made sure to mention (1) it was unpaid so I had to go somewhere I had free housing (ie lived at home for free); (2) it's hard finding a 1L summer job so I took the best opportunity I got offered; and (3) I moved 1,000 miles away from my home state in order to work in this city, which I want to work in for reasons X, Y, Z. I had several offers from the big city, and, ironically enough, had a much harder time convincing firms in my home state that I wanted to return home after I had picked a school so far away. In the end, it might have helped to have a 1L job in the market I wanted, but if you shape it in a positive and understandable way, I don't think it is a huge deal, particularly if the school is in a big market that is obviously superior to your home market (as was the case for me).

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, my LS market is in a far superior market. Thanks.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 pm

It would help to know the states. This answer could differ greatly depending on which two we are talking about. If you are from Maine and going to Tulane, that is a different ball of wax then if you are going to BYU (and Mormon) and from one of the neighboring states, say New Mexico. In the first instance, you would be insane to go back home, while in the second I don't think it would be a big deal.

If you don't feel like giving the exact states, could you at least ballpark the regions (if you are going to school in California, there are a couple schools in that range)? How far apart are we talkin here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:06 am

California is LS state. Home state is east coast, south of NJ/DC. Decent sized state.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:California is LS state. Home state is east coast, south of NJ/DC. Decent sized state.

I am guessing Georgia or South Carolina.

Putting aside why you would WANT to tie yourself to the mast of a sinking ship like the California government (unless you mean to forge a new one in your own image from the ashes?), I would get any legal job in California over a government one back home. I think the fact that you will be applying to government internships instead of firm jobs next summer (and you should be) will speak better to your commitment to government work than working in the state government clear on the other side of the country. (Normally I would say government work is government work, but as I hope you know the California State government s pretty different from everyone else.)

If you were trying to get a firm job, the fact that you go to school in the state might be enough (California after all doesn't really doubt that people want to live there. hubris maybe, but they do have a lot going for them location-wise). But you want government. You need to start showing your dedication to the state PRONTO. Any legal job in California is going to be better than one back home. Beyond the typical Judges and DAs offices, try and blanket a bunch of nonprofits as well. There are enough organizations in California who qualify for and could use free legal workers that I am sure SOMEone will bite.

I cannot really think of any job you could realistically get which would be better than any legal job in California.

HTH

Return to “Legal Employment”