Judges

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10374
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Judges

Postby TTH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

I've read several times on here "Don't apply to a judge you won't work for." The rationale being that it's a bad to burn a bridge with a Judge who gives you an offer you turn down.

Does this also apply to withdrawing your name from consideration with a Judge? I assume it wouldn't, but if by some miracle a firm picked me up for the summer, I would definitely want to do that versus work for the Judge.


On a more general note, how go about mailbombing judges? Should I call first to see if they are bringing on student interns in their chambers or just fire away? Do you address the cover letter to the Judge or a Clerk? I'm so confused.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Judges

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 pm

..

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Judges

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 pm

..

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10374
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Judges

Postby TTH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Corsair wrote:
Corsair wrote:Address it to the judge, mail bomb away.


In retrospect, this sort of post is likely to cause the FBI to flag me.


TTH wrote:On a more general note, how go about mailbombing judges? Should I call first to see if they are bringing on student interns in their chambers or just fire away? Do you address the cover letter to the Judge or a Clerk? I'm so confused.



Ehrm...see you at Gitmo?

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Judges

Postby ggocat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 pm

TTH wrote:I've read several times on here "Don't apply to a judge you won't work for." The rationale being that it's a bad to burn a bridge with a Judge who gives you an offer you turn down.

Does this also apply to withdrawing your name from consideration with a Judge? I assume it wouldn't, but if by some miracle a firm picked me up for the summer, I would definitely want to do that versus work for the Judge.


On a more general note, how go about mailbombing judges? Should I call first to see if they are bringing on student interns in their chambers or just fire away? Do you address the cover letter to the Judge or a Clerk? I'm so confused.

1. OK to withdraw your name from consideration. IMO, should be "Don't interview with a judge you won't work for."
2. Just fire away if you're applying to quite a few. Calling might be better etiquette, but you won't be out of place if you just send a letter. Also, put yourself in the secretary/clerk's shoes. Would you rather have 100 people calling you so you can tell them "no," or would you rather just throw 100 applications in the trash. I would prefer the latter.
3. Address it to the judge unless otherwise stated in some job posting.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Judges

Postby wiseowl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:39 pm

ggocat wrote:
TTH wrote:I've read several times on here "Don't apply to a judge you won't work for." The rationale being that it's a bad to burn a bridge with a Judge who gives you an offer you turn down.

Does this also apply to withdrawing your name from consideration with a Judge? I assume it wouldn't, but if by some miracle a firm picked me up for the summer, I would definitely want to do that versus work for the Judge.


On a more general note, how go about mailbombing judges? Should I call first to see if they are bringing on student interns in their chambers or just fire away? Do you address the cover letter to the Judge or a Clerk? I'm so confused.

1. OK to withdraw your name from consideration. IMO, should be "Don't interview with a judge you won't work for."
2. Just fire away if you're applying to quite a few. Calling might be better etiquette, but you won't be out of place if you just send a letter. Also, put yourself in the secretary/clerk's shoes. Would you rather have 100 people calling you so you can tell them "no," or would you rather just throw 100 applications in the trash. I would prefer the latter.
3. Address it to the judge unless otherwise stated in some job posting.


Great post all around.

Career services suggested calling chambers, but in my opinion that's a waste of time. I didn't call anyone. Point 2 was key for me.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Judges

Postby dood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:36 am

...
Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Judges

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 am

dood wrote:yeah concur above^; cast ur net far and wide. also, what worked for me: connection to the area.

when i asked why i was hired my judge's secretary showed me her spreadsheet of applicants.

mine said:
PROS:
local connection
engineering degree
good work experience
CONS:
low UG gpa

alot of others said:
PROS:
good law school/high grades
engineering degree
good work experience
CONS:
seems to be targeting our circuit but has no interest in [the local state the judge represents]

and i got the jorb....take what u will from that.


Damn, that makes me glad that I threw in some additional lines for the judges in my home state (how I'm a lifelong resident, how I can't wait to come home, etc)

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Judges

Postby ggocat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:14 am

dood wrote:yeah concur above^; cast ur net far and wide. also, what worked for me: connection to the area.

+1 Some judges place significant emphasis on local connections.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.