Important Mail Merging Question.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LSHPFL10

Important Mail Merging Question.

Postby LSHPFL10 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey guys, I have a quick question about mail merging.

Essentially, if you're doing an e-mail mail merge, there is no way to attach a resume/cover letter/writing sample as an attachment? So basically, in the e-mail, you'd state you were searching for summer employment, and simply tell them that you have a resume/cover letter/writing sample if they are interested?

I was a little perplexed by this, since I figured that the purpose of a mail merge was to be able to sent personalized cover letters and e-mails to a large number of employers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

LSHPFL10

Re: Important Mail Merging Question.

Postby LSHPFL10 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Bump.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:29 am

There are several ways to do this.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 am

That's very interesting to know. I've done Google searching, etc., but haven't been able to figure out a way.

Could you possibly elaborate? Or link me to something that does?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:That's very interesting to know. I've done Google searching, etc., but haven't been able to figure out a way.

there are several addons to word/outlook that allow this.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 am

There are? I've searched for several and only seem to come to the same forum post by the same person that hasn't seemed to work for anyone.

Can you refer me to what you use?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:54 am

Kohinoor wrote:
LSHPFL10 wrote:That's very interesting to know. I've done Google searching, etc., but haven't been able to figure out a way.

there are several addons to word/outlook that allow this.

It's built into word.

You need Excel, Word, and Outlook.

If this is your first time doing this, please for the love of not opening a "I fucked up" thread - get somebody, possibly a nerd from the IT/Comp. Sci. or possibly Business major to help you, double (triple) check everything.. do a dry run(send it to multiple email addresses that you own), etc.

It's very easy to fuck up a mail merge and have everybody you sent an email tossing it in the trash or making a bad first impression.

-----------------

Make an excel spread sheet with all the different information you want changed: emails, names, salutations, etc. Give those fields meaningful names.

Then,

use this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... A001109550 for the next steps.

You can also use mailmerge to make personalized printed letters and envelopes if you're into that type of stuff.

whaleface

Postby whaleface » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:57 am

You can also write a very short macro that can do this.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 am

I am fully aware of how to construct a mail merge.

I do appreciate the effort, but my question was about attaching a document to each personalized e-mail sent through the mail merge. For instance, for each personalized e-mail that is sent, it seemed intuitive to me that you should also be able to attach a personalized cover letter, in addition to a resume, or whatever other type of attachment was necessary (like a writing sample).

From what I've gathered, Word, on its own, cannot do this. I'm trying to figure out how to do this, or, if not, how individuals construct their e-mail merges to potential employers.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:19 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:I am fully aware of how to construct a mail merge.

I do appreciate the effort, but my question was about attaching a document to each personalized e-mail sent through the mail merge. For instance, for each personalized e-mail that is sent, it seemed intuitive to me that you should also be able to attach a personalized cover letter, in addition to a resume, or whatever other type of attachment was necessary (like a writing sample).

From what I've gathered, Word, on its own, cannot do this. I'm trying to figure out how to do this, or, if not, how individuals construct their e-mail merges to potential employers.

Yeah, at that level.. macro, addon, or script/program.

Albeit more expensive, you can always just print and mail through mail merge.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:I am fully aware of how to construct a mail merge.

There are several addons that allow this.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 am

A macro or add-on for this purpose is great to know.

Is there anyway one of you could point me in the right direction on how to go about doing this?

Again, thanks for the help.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 am

I appreciate all of the replies, but was wondering if there was, perhaps, another way to go about doing this? I'd prefer not to spend $25 on a computer program I am unsure of the effectiveness of, but certainly won't rule it out.

Are other people snail-mailing their merges? If not, and you're e-mailing, what technique are you using?

Thanks in advance.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Bump.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:07 pm

It's pretty much impossible to help you with this, since you've provided no information about the version of Word you are using or your operating system.

If you are unable to find instructions about how to set up a marco on your own, why don't you post up some more information so someone can hold your hand while you run a simple search on Google point you in the right direction.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Just spend the 25 bucks and make a physical mailmerge and send them out via post. It'll have less of a chance of getting inside somebody's spam folder.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 am

I'm using XP with Word 2010. I'm fairly adept with most Microsoft Office software, but apparently not to the extent that I previously supposed, since most of the instructions I find online for creating a macro of this sort are alluding me. Any help would be appreciated.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:40 am

Read up on some basic Visual Basic (variables, functions, arrays, etc.) and make your macro in VBScript. There are also sites where you can hire a coder to do this work for you according to your specs - though it'll be a bit more expensive.

Return to “Legal Employment”