Contacting Employers for Jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brose

Silver

Contacting Employers for Jobs

Post by brose » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:41 pm

If I am planning to move out of state a few months early, say April, am I allowed to contact a legal employer to work during the summer? I know there is a rule about contacting employers before December 1st or something, but does that apply once classes start, or once you put down your seat deposit?

Thanks!

ggocat

Gold

Re: Contacting Employers for Jobs

Post by ggocat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 am

You're talking about the summer before law school?

Here is the provision from NALP (which only applies to NALP member firms, so don't worry about non-NALP firms):
"Prospective employers and first year law students should not initiate contact with one another and employers should not interview or make offers to first year students before December 1."
http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... dstandards

Also note that they are merely "guidelines." If I were a law student today, I would probably ignore them unless my school forced submission. Employers did not abide by the guidelines when they rescinded summer and permanent offers.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”