Biglaw Concerns please

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 pm

and who do you think helps keep alive the people who help rich corporations get more wealth or keep more wealth? Doctors.


And pays for their profits?

People who buy things. You had better not buy anything or you will be helping greedy corporations!!!1111

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm

solidsnake wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Hi,

Seems like medicine is a much more vital and noble profession.

...
As a bigfirm attorney your job primarily
will be to help rich corporations get more wealth or keep their wealth. That's what you do in biglaw.


Your thoughts please?


and who do you think helps keep alive the people who help rich corporations get more wealth or keep more wealth? Doctors.


This seems like a bad argument. By the same token, we could ask "well, who do you think provides the CEOs of rich corporations with their groceries?" Just because grocery stores and the people who work there are the ones responsible, this doesn't somehow make them in league with evil CEOs. The reason I bring this up is because OP has a relatively decent point: in BigLaw, your primary job is to fight for the BigGuy. Whether you think that is a bad thing depends on your perspective and values, but I don't think anyone would argue that working as a doctor, your primary job is to keep CEOs alive. I don't mean to detract from the fair observation that a lot of doctors are in the business for the money/job security. That's far from altruistic.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby solidsnake » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 pm

mrmangs wrote:
solidsnake wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Hi,

Seems like medicine is a much more vital and noble profession.

...
As a bigfirm attorney your job primarily
will be to help rich corporations get more wealth or keep their wealth. That's what you do in biglaw.


Your thoughts please?


and who do you think helps keep alive the people who help rich corporations get more wealth or keep more wealth? Doctors.


This seems like a bad argument. By the same token, we could ask "well, who do you think provides the CEOs of rich corporations with their groceries?" Just because grocery stores and the people who work there are the ones responsible, this doesn't somehow make them in league with evil CEOs. The reason I bring this up is because OP has a relatively decent point: in BigLaw, your primary job is to fight for the BigGuy. Whether you think that is a bad thing depends on your perspective and values, but I don't think anyone would argue that working as a doctor, your primary job is to keep CEOs alive. I don't mean to detract from the fair observation that a lot of doctors are in the business for the money/job security. That's far from altruistic.


lol it was a joke, 0L. much as this thread was probably intended to be. go study for ur lsat.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

solidsnake wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
solidsnake wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Hi,

Seems like medicine is a much more vital and noble profession.

...
As a bigfirm attorney your job primarily
will be to help rich corporations get more wealth or keep their wealth. That's what you do in biglaw.


Your thoughts please?


and who do you think helps keep alive the people who help rich corporations get more wealth or keep more wealth? Doctors.


This seems like a bad argument. By the same token, we could ask "well, who do you think provides the CEOs of rich corporations with their groceries?" Just because grocery stores and the people who work there are the ones responsible, this doesn't somehow make them in league with evil CEOs. The reason I bring this up is because OP has a relatively decent point: in BigLaw, your primary job is to fight for the BigGuy. Whether you think that is a bad thing depends on your perspective and values, but I don't think anyone would argue that working as a doctor, your primary job is to keep CEOs alive. I don't mean to detract from the fair observation that a lot of doctors are in the business for the money/job security. That's far from altruistic.


lol it was a joke, 0L. much as this thread was probably intended to be. go study for ur lsat.


Hm, maybe I misinterpreted. :|

I thought your joking point was that OP's argument was analogous to your own. Since your argument was silly, you were implying his argument was silly. All I'm saying is that the augments are not analogous and that you can't jokingly criticize his point with your straw man. I could have read you wrong, but then I'm not quite sure what your joke exactly was?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

I relize this is probably a troll but:

LSHopeful2 wrote:how much does life in biglaw suck as an associate since you are subject to the whim or caprice of your boss every moment?


This is just about any job that makes good money.

LSHopeful2 wrote:A judge in a YouTube video described the prospects of biglaw as just a soulless money making android industry where the goal is to just make more and lay people off, lol.


1) Just because a person is a judge doesn't mean they know everything and 2) Once again, this is just about every job that makes good money

LSHopeful2 wrote:He also said that the people in biglaw don't care about you as a person as you are there to satisfy them period.


See Above

LSHopeful2 wrote:If you can't stand having bosses then would biglaw not be a good fit?


Well, no... because you would have a boss.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby underdawg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm

do med school people pine for law school as much as the other way around though?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm

underdawg wrote:do med school people pine for law school as much as the other way around though?

No. People in med school could have gone to law school, so there's no need to pine.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Renzo wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4.


Whoops, didn't mean to post anonymously.

That was FUCKING AMAZING

+1 "Shit son, your BlackBerry's like four years old" :lol:

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Renzo wrote:
underdawg wrote:do med school people pine for law school as much as the other way around though?

No. People in med school could have gone to law school, so there's no need to pine.


I know doctors who envy lawyers, but they generally feel superior to lawyers. It's like how some lawyers feel about bankers.

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby TigerBeer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Renzo wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4.


Whoops, didn't mean to post anonymously.

That was FUCKING AMAZING

+1 "Shit son, your BlackBerry's like four years old" :lol:


That's the only one of those types of videos I've seen that's been funny.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for the insight.

To me, I just want something more to life, and I guess biglaw is inextricably tied to the notion of "Corporate America" - where greed and selfishness is the principal asset. Life's too short for that shit, so I need something rejuvenating and invigorating in the sense that I will feel I am making a keen, positive difference almost every day.

I like International Law - issues like the Geneva Conventions, or focusing on world conflicts (i.e., what we see going on in Palestine/Israel), things like this. Only problem though is that I heard IL doesn't pay anywhere close to the likes of Corporate law or other fields, so that would definitely be a problem. Anyone know of any biglaw international law firms?

For me, if I decide law school, I would have to ace the LSAT, since my GPA is not that good. Anyone recommend certain books or strategies on how to do this? What prep course do you recommend or what self-studying strategy is excellent? Any great tips you may have?

I love the law, however I also love medicine as you help others recover, and you are in a field where there can be a lot of stability.

So, if anyone can help or give advice on how to ace the LSAT, I'd be appreciative. And sorry if I was a bit too jocular initially about biglaw, that judge in the youtube video just made me laugh a bit about it.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:59 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Thanks for the insight.

To me, I just want something more to life, and I guess biglaw is inextricably tied to the notion of "Corporate America" - where greed and selfishness is the principal asset. Life's too short for that shit, so I need something rejuvenating and invigorating in the sense that I will feel I am making a keen, positive difference almost every day.

I like International Law - issues like the Geneva Conventions, or focusing on world conflicts (i.e., what we see going on in Palestine/Israel), things like this. Only problem though is that I heard IL doesn't pay anywhere close to the likes of Corporate law or other fields, so that would definitely be a problem. Anyone know of any biglaw international law firms?

For me, if I decide law school, I would have to ace the LSAT, since my GPA is not that good. Anyone recommend certain books or strategies on how to do this? What prep course do you recommend or what self-studying strategy is excellent? Any great tips you may have?

I love the law, however I also love medicine as you help others recover, and you are in a field where there can be a lot of stability.

So, if anyone can help or give advice on how to ace the LSAT, I'd be appreciative. And sorry if I was a bit too jocular initially about biglaw, that judge in the youtube video just made me laugh a bit about it.


This has got to be a flame.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby mrmangs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm

paratactical wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Thanks for the insight.

To me, I just want something more to life, and I guess biglaw is inextricably tied to the notion of "Corporate America" - where greed and selfishness is the principal asset. Life's too short for that shit, so I need something rejuvenating and invigorating in the sense that I will feel I am making a keen, positive difference almost every day.

I like International Law - issues like the Geneva Conventions, or focusing on world conflicts (i.e., what we see going on in Palestine/Israel), things like this. Only problem though is that I heard IL doesn't pay anywhere close to the likes of Corporate law or other fields, so that would definitely be a problem. Anyone know of any biglaw international law firms?

For me, if I decide law school, I would have to ace the LSAT, since my GPA is not that good. Anyone recommend certain books or strategies on how to do this? What prep course do you recommend or what self-studying strategy is excellent? Any great tips you may have?

I love the law, however I also love medicine as you help others recover, and you are in a field where there can be a lot of stability.

So, if anyone can help or give advice on how to ace the LSAT, I'd be appreciative. And sorry if I was a bit too jocular initially about biglaw, that judge in the youtube video just made me laugh a bit about it.


This has got to be a flame.


QFT

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby sissyclark » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:05 pm

There are international law firms, tons of them. But they're not going to practice the international law that you're talking about because there's no money in it. It seems like in your previous posts, you really wanted biglaw. And now, I think you realize how hard it will be to get, so it's probably a smart move to go with something else.

You also haven't even take your LSAT yet, so I think you're thinking way too far in the future. You haven't applied to law school yet, your GPA might be too low to get you into a good school, you would probably need to score somewhere in the 170s with your GPA and you might not hit that, if you get into a good law school, you might not be in the top percentile in your class so you might not even get interviews, and if you do get interviews you might bomb the interviews you have, or you might bid incorrectly, etc. There are so many hurdles you have to climb just to even have a a remote shot at biglaw. I would just focus on one thing at a time first. If you get an offer from a biglaw firm, then you can come back and dog biglaw all you want. If you do get an offer from biglaw, odds are you'll have other options too and you can think about this then.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:12 pm

^This is anything but a flame. I do want biglaw, as you said, I am just learning the logistics behind it. Didn't you see at the end of my post I said I didn't mean to be jocular about it? It's not like I "dogged" on biglaw explicitly stating the words "it sucks," "it's for selfish pigs," "it turns you into a monster," etc. Some people would argue that it does, I was just paraphrasing the judge in that clip.

So you can see that I was not somehow disingenuous in my post, but was curious and wanted to learn more.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:30 pm

I like International Law - issues like the Geneva Conventions, or focusing on world conflicts (i.e., what we see going on in Palestine/Israel), things like this. Only problem though is that I heard IL doesn't pay anywhere close to the likes of Corporate law or other fields, so that would definitely be a problem. Anyone know of any biglaw international law firms?


If you want to work with the Geneva Conventions on regular basis, your only real option is to join JAG (military lawyers). No guarantee you would be accepted before going to law school. And it isn't sexy Geneva Conventions work- it's just explaining to other people in the military how not to violate it. Other than that, there is the UN, which you statistically have something like a .1% chance of getting into a role where you would really get to work on that stuff in a legal capacity (and that's assuming the unlikely possibility that the UN would hire you) . Other than that, you could be a law professor and get paid to pontificate the topic. Better get into Yale if you want to do that.

Sure, biglaw does plenty of international work. International corporate work, international litigation, international tax issues. Geneva conventions? Not so much. No private firm works on that stuff.

Side rant: People need to accept that if they want a chance to save the world by bringing about international peace and harmony, they need to be another Ghandi or Mandela. You will have to be willing to go to prison or die in the process. You don't save the world from a nice house in the suburbs.
Last edited by nealric on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for clarifying that issue. International corporate work and litigation does sound quite riveting to me, so I would certainly consider those fields as well.
In my undergrad classes we just dealt a lot with war crimes and the Geneva Conventions and how they apply in times of warfare, so it was really interesting to me. However, as you stated, applying it would only work in JAG, and the prospects of the field is usually quite limited judging by what you said.
Seems like I will go the route you suggested in biglaw international work.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:28 pm

If you're not joking, you have a shitload of research to do about what being an attorney is actually like because you are completely clueless.

Jessep
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby Jessep » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Come back and re-read your post 4 years from now.

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby sissyclark » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:52 pm

that's great that you're curious about biglaw. But you seem really young and it doesn't seem like you've ever really had a real job before. You should probably focus more on taking the LSAT before asking about the potential pifalls and availability of international biglaw careers. You speak as if getting into biglaw itself is easy ("seems like I will just go the biglaw international route"), let alone international biglaw. Statistically speaking, over the next few years only about 5% of lawyers will have the opportunity of going into biglaw. So just see if you even get the option, or else all these questions are utterly pointless.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Seems like I will go the route you suggested in biglaw international work.


Easier said than done as other posters have mentioned.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Para, you are pissing me off, retard. STFU. I stated in my previous post that I didn't mean to be jocular and that I was only PARAPHRASING (do you know what that means?) what the judge said in that video clip, and I just wanted some more clarification which is why I asked my question with regard to BIGLAW. Go re-read my first post, where I ended with the statement, "Your thoughts please?" and not resorting to a childish remark, such as "Haha! I bet biglaw sucks, what do you think?" Idiot.

Why would you consider my post to be flame to begin with? I was just expressing interest and questions, you incompetent fool, it's not like I was bashing biglaw, but merely regurgitated what the fellow said in the VIDEO.

Go back to school and brush up on your common sense and decorum skills. Numbnut. Now stop throwing insults, because you're pissing me off. GTFO.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby paratactical » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:14 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Para, you are pissing me off, retard. STFU. I stated in my previous post that I didn't mean to be jocular and that I was only PARAPHRASING (do you know what that means?) what the judge said in that video clip, and I just wanted some more clarification which is why I asked my question with regard to BIGLAW.

Why would you consider my post to be flame to begin with? I was just expressing interest and questions, you incompetent fool, it's not like I was bashing biglaw, but merely regurgitated what the fellow said in the VIDEO.

Go back to school and brush up on your common sense and decorum skills. Numbnut. Now stop throwing insults, because you're pissing me off. GTFO.

:lol:

Oh, this is rich.

User avatar
LSHopeful2
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby LSHopeful2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Rich in composition and truth, yes, dumb-ass. Now stop bothering me. GTFO (x2).

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Biglaw Concerns please

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Para, you are pissing me off, retard. STFU. I stated in my previous post that I didn't mean to be jocular and that I was only PARAPHRASING (do you know what that means?) what the judge said in that video clip, and I just wanted some more clarification which is why I asked my question with regard to BIGLAW. Go re-read my first post, where I ended with the statement, "Your thoughts please?" and not resorting to a childish remark, such as "Haha! I bet biglaw sucks, what do you think?" Idiot.

Why would you consider my post to be flame to begin with? I was just expressing interest and questions, you incompetent fool, it's not like I was bashing biglaw, but merely regurgitated what the fellow said in the VIDEO.

Go back to school and brush up on your common sense and decorum skills. Numbnut. Now stop throwing insults, because you're pissing me off. GTFO.
Decorum fa-fa-fa-faaaaaail




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.