True or False?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

True or False?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

My CS Counselor told me that it is rare for a 1L to work in any type of firm their first summer. Biglaw, midlaw, and even some small law generally recruit for 2L summer. Is this true? If one is interested in working for some type of firm, where is a good place to intern during the 1L summer then?

Cavalier

Re: True or False?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I'd describe it as uncommon, not rare. What you do your 1L summer basically doesn't matter as long as it's law-related.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'd describe it as uncommon, not rare. What you do your 1L summer basically doesn't matter as long as it's law-related.

Eh. I wouldn't go this far. IF you plan on working at a small to mid sized firm (5 to 50) during your second summer, I'd argue that what you do your first summer matters a lot.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'd describe it as uncommon, not rare. What you do your 1L summer basically doesn't matter as long as it's law-related.

It's not uncommon or rare; it's unlikely.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:30 pm

I think it largely depends on where you're going to school and what markets you're looking at.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:55 pm

I'd be prepared to try for firms, but I'd also be prepared not to get any. Aim for judges, fed/state governments, etc.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:31 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I would go with infrequent.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I would go with infrequent.

ahahaa

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Big or mid sized firms - yes it is rare

Small firms - not as much

Smaller firms that don't have established summer programs aren't likely to make a full-time offer to a 2L so theres really no difference to them if you are a 1L or a 2L.

Return to “Legal Employment”