Judicial Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dakatz

Re: Judicial Internship

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Ok, its all done. 100 mailings exactly on some nice large envelopes. Sent writing sample along with resume and cover letter. Had someone make me Avery labels since I'm tech-tarded and didn't have time to figure out how to do a mail merge. Thanks for all the advice, guys. Was way expensive to send everything out, but if I get an internship out of it, I guess the price is worth it.

Edit: Oh and one last question. So I know everyone says to get stuff in right at beginning of December, which I did. But does that mean it is pointless to apply to more federal judges after finals? I applied to 100, but could certainly have done more if I had the time. Would it be a waste to apply around the end of December? Just checking in case anyone has any experience applying a bit later than usual to these positions.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:59 pm

dood wrote:
dakatz wrote:Ok, its all done. 100 mailings exactly on some nice large envelopes. Sent writing sample along with resume and cover letter. Had someone make me Avery labels since I'm tech-tarded and didn't have time to figure out how to do a mail merge. Thanks for all the advice, guys. Was way expensive to send everything out, but if I get an internship out of it, I guess the price is worth it.

Edit: Oh and one last question. So I know everyone says to get stuff in right at beginning of December, which I did. But does that mean it is pointless to apply to more federal judges after finals? I applied to 100, but could certainly have done more if I had the time. Would it be a waste to apply around the end of December? Just checking in case anyone has any experience applying a bit later than usual to these positions.

where u applying to?

Just sent out apps to almost all NJ fed. judges (I'm a hometown kid so hoping that will hold some weight for NJ), most federal district court judges in NYC, and a few in Philly. But I'm also looking to apply to the ones in Massachusetts as well, but didn't have the chance to yet.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 pm

And since I've been in Mass. for quite awhile, it would seem like a good idea to apply to the federal judges here. But I won't be able to apply until right after finals, in the last week of December. So I'm just not sure if those apps would be completely wasted money.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm

dakatz wrote:Just sent out apps to almost all NJ fed. judges (I'm a hometown kid so hoping that will hold some weight for NJ), most federal district court judges in NYC, and a few in Philly. But I'm also looking to apply to the ones in Massachusetts as well, but didn't have the chance to yet.

If you have time, send out apps the the 2nd/3rd circuits as well (assuming that's something you'd be interested in). Many students are under the impression that COA judges don't hire interns, but quite a few do (albeit in much lower quantities than district judges). I know at least 4 2nd circuit judges who had interns last summer.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Just sent out apps to almost all NJ fed. judges (I'm a hometown kid so hoping that will hold some weight for NJ), most federal district court judges in NYC, and a few in Philly. But I'm also looking to apply to the ones in Massachusetts as well, but didn't have the chance to yet.

If you have time, send out apps the the 2nd/3rd circuits as well (assuming that's something you'd be interested in). Many students are under the impression that COA judges don't hire interns, but quite a few do (albeit in much lower quantities than district judges). I know at least 4 2nd circuit judges who had interns last summer.

Yeah, I hit all the CoA judges in NYC, Philly, and Jersey (so all 2nd and 3rd circuit judges in those cities). Not expecting anything from those, but wasn't gonna stop me from trying.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Wow, already got a callback with positive feedback about my app, and a request for 1st semester grades when they come out. Thanks for all the help getting these apps together, guys.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm

dakatz wrote:Wow, already got a callback with positive feedback about my app, and a request for 1st semester grades when they come out. Thanks for all the help getting these apps together, guys.

Congrats!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 pm

wiseowl wrote:
dakatz wrote:Wow, already got a callback with positive feedback about my app, and a request for 1st semester grades when they come out. Thanks for all the help getting these apps together, guys.

Congrats!

Thank you! Now hopefully my grades are solid enough that I don't blow my chance :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:36 pm

dakatz wrote:
Yeah, I hit all the CoA judges in NYC, Philly, and Jersey (so all 2nd and 3rd circuit judges in those cities). Not expecting anything from those, but wasn't gonna stop me from trying.

don't forget the federal and COA judges in wilmington, de. they're part of the 3d cir. too, and many of them take interns.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 am

You'll probably get a job out of this first round of mail-outs, but after finals is not too late at all - certainly not for judges. I didn't even apply till the end of break (first week Jan) and got a federal judicial internship in my state almost right away. Also got invited to a few other interviews, so I don't think it was pure luck.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 pm

For those 2Ls and 3Ls who successfully got judicial internships their 1L summers: Send unsolicited 7-8 page writing sample with my cover letter + resume? Or just CL + Resume? I'm sending a very large number of mailings.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:55 pm

If your writing sample is objectively good (verified by a third party) send it.

If you have any qualms about it, don't send it unless they specifically request it up front or call and ask for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Here's a practice tip for people down the line. One of the easiest ways to get a judicial internship is to take a law school class with a judge, do reasonably well, and then ask the judge (your professor) if you could work for him/her the following semester/the summer. The judge will already know your name, know how you measure up against your peers, and know the quality of work that you can produce. At that point, your application would be little more than an email and a resume (forget the matching envelope, the fancy watermark, etc.).

Finding a class with a judge shouldn't be that hard--at my state school, we have a number of state COA, state supreme court, and federal COA judges who teach everything from 1L torts to the required ethics course to practice classes like trial ad.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:28 pm

js87 wrote:For those 2Ls and 3Ls who successfully got judicial internships their 1L summers: Send unsolicited 7-8 page writing sample with my cover letter + resume? Or just CL + Resume? I'm sending a very large number of mailings.

I just sent a cover letter and resume, and mentioned that I would be happy to provide a writing sample upon request, and grades once they were in.

Very few judges requested writing samples, some requested grades. A good number (including the judge I worked for) requested neither.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. No writing sample it is!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm

This might be a silly question, but how do you do a cover letter salutation for a CoA judge? Do you write:

The Honorable [name]
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit

or

The Honorable [name]
United States Court of Appeals
for the Ninth Circuit

or

The Honorable [name]
United State Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit

I've seen if done a couple of ways, so I wanted to double check. Thanks in advance.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be a silly question, but how do you do a cover letter salutation for a CoA judge? Do you write:

The Honorable [name]

or

The Honorable [name]
United States Court of Appeals
for the Ninth Circuit

or

The Honorable [name]
United State Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit

I've seen if done a couple of ways, so I wanted to double check. Thanks in advance.

I did it the first way. Don't think it matters all that much

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Honorable [name]

This one

Return to “Legal Employment”