USAO 1L internships: you have to wait till Dec 1st?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sfdreaming09

USAO 1L internships: you have to wait till Dec 1st?

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 am

I just want to make sure: you're not allowed to apply to USAO internships until Dec 1st, right? The website doesn't say when you can begin, only when the deadline is.

Anonymous Loser

Re: USAO 1L internships: you have to wait till Dec 1st?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:59 am

I know that common sense is hard to come by in the legal employment forum, but did you stop to think about how absurd it is to ask this question on November 28? What is there, something like 60 hours from the time of your post to the December 1 deadline?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:48 am

It's a valid question.

OP: Yes, you can't send your applications until 12-01. I think that's the rule for all employers, actually. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Interested Observer

Postby Interested Observer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:18 pm

JOThompson wrote:It's a valid question.

OP: Yes, you can't send your applications until 12-01. I think that's the rule for all employers, actually. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you may be wrong. I think the December 1 rules applies only to NALP employers. But, as a general matter, almost all 1Ls will wait until December 1. (And probably the USAO expects that.) But I'm not 100% sure on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Like the second poster said, why does it matter? It's only 3 days away, and those 3 days will not change your prospects either way. I applied to USAOs in January once I received grades, had two interviews, and ended up working at one of them (which did not do interviews until February anyway).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:39 pm

DOJ follows NALP guidelines, just so you know. They also follow the NALP 28-day rule for accepting SLIP offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like the second poster said, why does it matter? It's only 3 days away, and those 3 days will not change your prospects either way. I applied to USAOs in January once I received grades, had two interviews, and ended up working at one of them (which did not do interviews until February anyway).

This is consistent with my experience. I had everything ready to go before I got my first semester grades back (mid-January I believe), and got an interview about 3-4 weeks later.

Return to “Legal Employment”