Former V10 Summer Associate, Taking Qs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Former V10 Summer Associate, Taking Qs

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am

How many SA's were there? whats the lowest school that was represented? (anything below T14?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:How many SA's were there? whats the lowest school that was represented? (anything below T14?)

Not answering the first question, other than to say that the class was fairly large.

Not answering the second question, either. There were below-T14 law students in the class. Vast majority of summer associates were from CLS, NYU, or HLS.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. What's the firm's policy on clerking after graduation? Is it something they encourage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 pm

For family reasons, I may need to go back home for a few weekends this summer.

Did you work every Saturday/Sunday? Were there social events every weekend?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:27 pm

What's the firm's policy on clerking after graduation? Is it something they encourage?

Firm encourages clerking. Pays the market bonus.

Did you work every Saturday/Sunday? Were there social events every weekend?

I worked a few weekends, but only a few hours here and there. There weren't any mandatory social events every weekend. You should be totally fine going home for a few weekends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Do firms care if you can talk in interviews about something a partner did that was quite big (published on their website and in various journals) and can relate it to your own work/research? I have a specific firm in mind, V10, that has a department I'm very interested in working for that corresponds closely with some research I've been doing as a 1L. Will probably be publishing a student note about it this spring in a prestigious journal, among other things.

Helps a lot? OR do grades still dominate beyond everything else? OR are grades necessary, but these sort of things are what get you in? I'm HYS, if it matters.

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Did you read Jagged Rocks of Wisdom by Lund or any other similar career strategy book? If so, did you find it helpful? Also, same question for the memo writing aids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Do firms care if you can talk in interviews about something a partner did that was quite big (published on their website and in various journals) and can relate it to your own work/research? I have a specific firm in mind, V10, that has a department I'm very interested in working for that corresponds closely with some research I've been doing as a 1L. Will probably be publishing a student note about it this spring in a prestigious journal, among other things.

This is an awfully specific question. Grades get you in the door (even if you are already in the door via OCI, so to speak). Being able to carry a normal conversation gets you the callback.

Showing such interest will certainly help, but it's in no way necessary, and can backfire if it comes across as too scripted or contrived.

When I interviewed, I was sure to have some bullet points about each firm I was interviewing with, but only brought them up if it seemed natural to do so. Some screening interviews spent the whole time covering one interesting line in my resume. Others were just conversations that involved getting to know me. I received callbacks for those interviews (and, later, offers).

If you're a 1L (and it seems you are), just focus on socializing and networking. What matters at the screening stage is your people-skills. Lacking them will get you dinged, good grades or not.

Did you read Jagged Rocks of Wisdom by Lund or any other similar career strategy book? If so, did you find it helpful? Also, same question for the memo writing aids.

The only book I read was The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law. You have to be careful not to teach yourself too much before starting at the firm. The firm will probably have many training programs, some of which will go into the minutiae of brief/memo/motion writing. I'd just focus on the basics: Knowing how to use your secretary efficiently, knowing how the basic structure of a memo works, knowing how to bluebook, etc. Garner's Modern Legal Usage is also a good book to have on the side, though it's definitely unnecessary to read the whole thing before you start.

moose

Postby moose » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 pm

I have question that you may or may not be able to answer. I've asked this question before but nobody can give me any insight.

Are you familiar w/ your firm's real estate practice? If so,...based on your interview process and knowledge of your firm,...how do you think 4-5 years experience in REIT acquisitions/RE finance experience and experience as an analyst for a well known bank (doing risk mitigation for real estate CMBS pools) as well as a certificate in commercial mortgaging,..how much do you think this will help in term's of OCIs and how much leeway do you think that level of practical experience might get me w/ regards to GPA? Also, if I expressed an interest in the real estate practice, would that help or hurt,...meaning are they looking for generalists that they can assign as they see fit? I have no idea how placement works within law firms.

And I know there are no definitive answers on these type of questions, but any insight would help. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I have no idea, but Real Estate tends not to grow a lot, even at the major NYC firms. You might be shooting yourself in the foot by having such a narrow focus.

moose

Postby moose » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea, but Real Estate tends not to grow a lot, even at the major NYC firms. You might be shooting yourself in the foot by having such a narrow focus.

Thanks. Well, just in a general sense how much do you think the experience i mentioned would help?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 am

In terms of doing the job? I don't know. In terms of getting the job? I still don't know.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:36 am

Were there any SAs who had studied at a Canadian law school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Not that I can remember.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Did you find it difficult to adjust to starting full-time at the firm as an associate? Any particular challenges that you faced that you might have faced? Might you have done anything differently starting out if you could?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Per the very first post in this thread, I am now a 3L. Thus, I have no answer to your questions.

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:34 pm

What was the office dress code, and what did you ACTUALLY wear on the first day? Would you recommend dressing more formal for the first day/week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:18 pm

SpiteFence wrote:What was the office dress code, and what did you ACTUALLY wear on the first day? Would you recommend dressing more formal for the first day/week?

Office dress code is business casual. I wore a suit, but others wore business casual. Really doesn't make a difference unless recruiting specifically tells you to wear a suit on the first day (or unless your office dress code is business formal).

Absolutely unnecessary to wear business formal for the entire week, assuming the office dress code is business casual.

Do keep a suit in your office for the unpredictable court or client trips. Also incredibly useful to have that extra jacket around in case you have to go to a restaurant that requires a jacket, as is likely to occur when working at a big firm in NYC.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SpiteFence wrote:What was the office dress code, and what did you ACTUALLY wear on the first day? Would you recommend dressing more formal for the first day/week?

Office dress code is business casual. I wore a suit, but others wore business casual. Really doesn't make a difference unless recruiting specifically tells you to wear a suit on the first day (or unless your office dress code is business formal).

Absolutely unnecessary to wear business formal for the entire week, assuming the office dress code is business casual.

Do keep a suit in your office for the unpredictable court or client trips. Also incredibly useful to have that extra jacket around in case you have to go to a restaurant that requires a jacket, as is likely to occur when working at a big firm in NYC.

Which restaurants require a jacket?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:09 pm

relevant to my interests. thx buddy. good call on the W-4 also.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 am

Kohinoor wrote:Which restaurants require a jacket?

In New York? Daniel, Le Bernardin, 21 Club, Le Cirque, Per Se, Jean Georges (main room), and The Modern, to name a few.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Which restaurants require a jacket?

In New York? Daniel, Le Bernardin, 21 Club, Le Cirque, Per Se, Jean Georges (main room), and The Modern, to name a few.

who?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 am

The Modern did not require a jacket. I'm pretty sure JG doesn't require one for lunch.

And if your firm has a lunch budget to take you to Per Se, then I applaud you for landing such a place (I know you were just answering the question, but I'm just talking in general).

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

The Modern did not require a jacket. I'm pretty sure JG doesn't require one for lunch.

And if your firm has a lunch budget to take you to Per Se, then I applaud you for landing such a place (I know you were just answering the question, but I'm just talking in general).

why is this anon? anyways, doesnt that still leave a few places on the list? where he only named a few?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:01 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

why is this anon? anyways, doesnt that still leave a few places on the list? where he only named a few?

I believe he's right about the rest.

It's anonymous because I'm the OP.

Return to “Legal Employment”