1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:39 am

Hey everyone!
I am a 1L at a t10 school. Work experience=a year at a paralegal at a firm in NY. Ties to NY and Atlanta. Should I apply for a 1L position on Dec 1? My resume is already done, I just have to work on the cover letter... and send it out. Or do you think I have no shot?

I don't want to waste time that I would rather be putting in finals. Opinions appreciated.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:40 am

Apply.

What kind of question is this? Getting your shit in early/on time is better than later/not on time. You cant be considered if you don't apply.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 am

bdubs wrote:Apply.

What kind of question is this? Getting your shit in early/on time is better than later/not on time. You cant be considered if you don't apply.


OP here. I was going to apply after my finals are done. Everyone says mail merge is a crap shoot... so I was not sure.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Apply.

What kind of question is this? Getting your shit in early/on time is better than later/not on time. You cant be considered if you don't apply.


OP here. I was going to apply after my finals are done. Everyone says mail merge is a crap shoot... so I was not sure.


My 2 cents, which are probably not worth much:

Write a tailored CL to your NYC firm and maybe reach out to someone who might have influence to let them know you are applying.

Write a generic CL to do a mail merge and send it off December 1, but don't do it if it might mess with your finals/grades.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby kurla88 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 am

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Apply.

What kind of question is this? Getting your shit in early/on time is better than later/not on time. You cant be considered if you don't apply.


OP here. I was going to apply after my finals are done. Everyone says mail merge is a crap shoot... so I was not sure.


My 2 cents, which are probably not worth much:

Write a tailored CL to your NYC firm and maybe reach out to someone who might have influence to let them know you are applying.

Write a generic CL to do a mail merge and send it off December 1, but don't do it if it might mess with your finals/grades.


This. Don't waste a ton of time doing tailored cover letters. But a generic mail merge won't be too time consuming and just might get you a few interviews.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 am

Worth it for T30/strong regional/local ties? (to put in the effort of writing letters, editing writing sample, while cramming for finals)
Advice I'm hearing form career office/workshops 1) Not critical to apply Dec. 1st, 2) always tailor the cover letter, or they'll probably toss it.

Can anyone reconcile these views?

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: 1L-Apply or Not to Apply on the Dec 1 deadline?

Postby kurla88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 am

aPosseAdEsse wrote:Worth it for T30/strong regional/local ties? (to put in the effort of writing letters, editing writing sample, while cramming for finals)
Advice I'm hearing form career office/workshops 1) Not critical to apply Dec. 1st, 2) always tailor the cover letter, or they'll probably toss it.

Can anyone reconcile these views?


Can't speak specifically to t30 but:

1) Dec 1st is critical for some jobs, because the competition is so fierce. e.g.: big law firms. Some of them do wait till grades come out, but a lot seem to do interviews over winter break and then just wait on grades for confirmation.

2) I've heard mixed things about this. My sister works in (non-law) recruiting and says she always skips right to the resume. I'm sure a good cover letter can only help, but I doubt they'd toss your app without at least glancing at your resume first. You have to decide whether it's worth the time. Keep in mind that this is a very long-shot anyway but them having your resume gives you more of a shot than them not having anything from you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.