Working in London with no ties? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sophie316

Bronze

Re: Working in London with no ties?

Post by sophie316 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:16 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Also, studying the biographies of some US attorneys who practice at firms in London, I notice that many of them are admitted to the bar back in the States, but don't seem to be admitted to the bar from a British jurisdiction. Is that typical -- do you not need a bar admission from a British jurisdiction to practice in London, if you are admitted to practice in an American state?
If you're practicing US law, no. If you want to practice UK law then you will need to become either a solicitor or a barrister(not super hard if you're admitted in NY from what I gather).

Also worth considering, I was universally advised that if you're going to practice US law you should try and work for a US firm, even in London. If people want UK legal advice they go to magic circle etc firms, but for US law the really high end work is always going to go to the US firms because they just have so much more expertise in that area. I'm not 100% sure how true that is, but I had people tell me in interviews 'even if you don't end up working at this firm, do NOT go to a magic circle firm if you want to do US law'.

Also, anecdotally, if you have experience working at a US firm in London its not super hard to get a job in the US practice of a magic circle firm's London office laterally.

FunkyJD

Silver

Re: Working in London with no ties?

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Awesome. Good to know, thanks sophie.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”