USAO vs. Sate Department of Justice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO vs. Sate Department of Justice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:26 am

I wasn't able to land a 2L SA with a firm this year, but I'm extremely interested in working for a plaintiff's firm after graduation. I have the opportunity to work for the a large State's Department of Justice, where I would be working with substantial financial litigation cases. Or, I can work at a smaller city's USAO.

Which do you think is going to give me the best experience to practice in litigation after graduation? I'm not too sure how good the litigation experience at a USAO is. Does anyone have experience or insight into either of these options? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: USAO vs. Sate Department of Justice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wasn't able to land a 2L SA with a firm this year, but I'm extremely interested in working for a plaintiff's firm after graduation. I have the opportunity to work for the a large State's Department of Justice, where I would be working with substantial financial litigation cases. Or, I can work at a smaller city's USAO.

Which do you think is going to give me the best experience to practice in litigation after graduation? I'm not too sure how good the litigation experience at a USAO is. Does anyone have experience or insight into either of these options? Thanks.

Try to get summer law clerk position at a small plaintiff's firm this summer if you can. Don't give up on trying to get into one of these firms since a lot of them will hire as late as late spring (some of them are on a very different time table than large firms since they recognize that they can't predict their employment needs a year or two out, unlike large firms). If your school is in the same area as you want to be in after graduation, then the small firm might keep you on during the school year for your 3rd year of law school (these firms make a good chunk of money off their law clerks since they only pay them between nothing-$18 /hr, make the law clerks bill close to an hour for every hour they are there, and then bill $80 /hr to their clients). The small plaintiff's firm you work at this summer could lead to post-gradaute employment as well. If nothing else they might keep you on as a law clerk after you take the bar while you are still looking for other employment (any work experience in the type of firm you want to be at after taking the bar is better than a gap in employment).

Return to “Legal Employment”