DOJ Honors vs. Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Honors vs. Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:04 pm

I have to decide between DOJ honors and a V15 law firm. I really want to work for the DOJ but am reluctant to turn down my law firm offer (with a $50K bonus for my judicial clerkship). Any ideas?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Re: DOJ Honors vs. Big Law

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have to decide between DOJ honors and a V15 law firm. I really want to work for the DOJ but am reluctant to turn down my law firm offer (with a $50K bonus for my judicial clerkship). Any ideas?
Out of curiosity, because I have thought of doing basically the same thing.. are you currently clerking, or did you apply for DoJ honors during your 3L year for your post-clerkship life?

If you're going to do DoJ, you had better be ready to dedicate 10 years to it, so that you can take advantage of the loan forgiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have to decide between DOJ honors and a V15 law firm. I really want to work for the DOJ but am reluctant to turn down my law firm offer (with a $50K bonus for my judicial clerkship). Any ideas?
Out of curiosity, because I have thought of doing basically the same thing.. are you currently clerking, or did you apply for DoJ honors during your 3L year for your post-clerkship life?

If you're going to do DoJ, you had better be ready to dedicate 10 years to it, so that you can take advantage of the loan forgiveness.

I am now clerking and applied for the honors program this year. Got two offers. Are you with the DOJ now?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

I am now clerking and applied for the honors program this year. Got two offers. Are you with the DOJ now?
No, like I said, I'm considering doing the same thing you apparently did. Currently a 3L, clerking on CoA next year, have a biglaw job lined up for after my clerkship, having second thoughts about applying for DoJ.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Congrats OP. Personally I couldn't imagine turning down DOJ Honors for any firm but Williams and Connolly.

To TransferorNot. Can I ask why the second thoughts about DOJ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 pm

What's special about Williams and Connolly?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Congrats OP. Personally I couldn't imagine turning down DOJ Honors for any firm but Williams and Connolly.

I mean I'm having second thoughts about the fact that I didn't apply to the DoJ. But, money is the primary factor. Location, too - I hate DC and have fairly low desire to live there.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's special about Williams and Connolly?
Everything. They are essentially the ultimate litigation firm in the country, definitely the most respected firm in DC, and they are one of the few biglaw firms where you have a realistic shot at making partner. On top of that they almost never layoff associates, they pay 180K to first years and have a larger salary after that than almost any other firm (though they don't pay bonuses), you actually have a chance at going to trial as an associate, and they have done some of the most high profile work around (defended Bill Clinton during the impeachment scandal, counsel to Obama, and Elena Kagan used to work there). They provide free lunch every day to there lawyers and you could probably go to DOJ very easily after working there. Although I think that this is a bit of an unimportant reason to work there, they are basically the most selective firm in the country that hires 2L summer associates.
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Congrats OP. Personally I couldn't imagine turning down DOJ Honors for any firm but Williams and Connolly.

I mean I'm having second thoughts about the fact that I didn't apply to the DoJ. But, money is the primary factor. Location, too - I hate DC and have fairly low desire to live there.
Yeah Chicago does have that crappy LRAP. If you were at Columbia taking the DOJ job would be a lot easier on the wallet. No job is worth living in a location you hate anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm

What ended up happening to OP? I'm curious and in a similar boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What ended up happening to OP? I'm curious and in a similar boat.
Depends on what you want to do in life, and what components at DOJ you are considering (or that's considering you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Any more thoughts on this? I may have to make this decision very soon and quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:40 am

Which component? Experiences seem to vary a lot among them. That said, I can't imagine turning down DOJ Honors, partly because biglaw is miserable and partly because I don't know that DOJ is an opportunity that would come along again down the road.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”