Stuff you can do before you are an attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jeremychristiansen

Stuff you can do before you are an attorney

Postby jeremychristiansen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is in the right forum or not. If not, sorry.

My wife and I are moving back in with my parents after I graduate undergrad for about three months before we go to law school next fall. I am talking with the County attorney (He is a family friend) about working for him for that little time period. He is open to the idea but was just not sure what things he could legally let me do and was going to check up on that. DO any of you know where I could find some info on what sort of things you can do? Would I be considered like a para-legal (or do you have to have a license for that or something)? Anyway, thanks for any info.

superiorwisdom

Re: Stuff you can do before you are an attorney

Postby superiorwisdom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:13 pm

I thought you had to wait until AFTER you graduated law school before you moved back in with your parents.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:37 pm

You definitely do not need a certificate to do paralegal work and that's the type of work you'd probably do for him. I worked as a paralegal for 2 years in biglaw, 1L now. I would absolutely recommend doing some paralegal work before law school. You won't necessarily learn anything that will be helpful in law school (although, I do find civil procedure a bit easier from seeing the life of a case in litigation). It's good to see what a lawyer does on a day to day basis to ensure law school is really what you want to do.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:07 pm

jeremychristiansen wrote:Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is in the right forum or not. If not, sorry.

My wife and I are moving back in with my parents after I graduate undergrad for about three months before we go to law school next fall. I am talking with the County attorney (He is a family friend) about working for him for that little time period. He is open to the idea but was just not sure what things he could legally let me do and was going to check up on that. DO any of you know where I could find some info on what sort of things you can do? Would I be considered like a para-legal (or do you have to have a license for that or something)? Anyway, thanks for any info.

You can do anything except be the final offeror of legal advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”