Redo Resume or Go Ahead and Apply on Dec 1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Redo Resume or Go Ahead and Apply on Dec 1

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Got my resume and cover letter back from OCS with comments. They want me to redo everything pretty much and resubmit on Dec 1 for review. Most of the comments are nitpicking - e.g. resume format does quite match "recommended" formats - but it is close enough. Also, I have 4 years work xp in 2 jobs and my resume is 1.5 pages - they want me to compress it to 1 page. Among suggestions for compression - removal of Highest Grade in Legal Research honor in a community college paralegal program. My alumni mentor in biglaw thinks my resume and cover letter look fine. Should I resubmit on Dec 1 and wait for other comments or just incorporate the good comments and apply for SA on Dec 1?

PS With resume they are suggesting to redo I got two really good jobs without any connections...

Aqualibrium

Re: Redo Resume or Go Ahead and Apply on Dec 1

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Two good legal jobs? For next summer? If not, make the changes.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my resume and cover letter back from OCS with comments. They want me to redo everything pretty much and resubmit on Dec 1 for review. Most of the comments are nitpicking - e.g. resume format does quite match "recommended" formats - but it is close enough. Also, I have 4 years work xp in 2 jobs and my resume is 1.5 pages - they want me to compress it to 1 page. Among suggestions for compression - removal of Highest Grade in Legal Research honor in a community college paralegal program. My alumni mentor in biglaw thinks my resume and cover letter look fine. Should I resubmit on Dec 1 and wait for other comments or just incorporate the good comments and apply for SA on Dec 1?

PS With resume they are suggesting to redo I got two really good jobs without any connections...

The bolded needs to be fixed. A legal resume, for a law student, is 1 page. I have 6+ years of work experience and had two jobs my 1L summer yet I am able to fit my legal resume onto 1 page.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my resume and cover letter back from OCS with comments. They want me to redo everything pretty much and resubmit on Dec 1 for review. Most of the comments are nitpicking - e.g. resume format does quite match "recommended" formats - but it is close enough. Also, I have 4 years work xp in 2 jobs and my resume is 1.5 pages - they want me to compress it to 1 page. Among suggestions for compression - removal of Highest Grade in Legal Research honor in a community college paralegal program. My alumni mentor in biglaw thinks my resume and cover letter look fine. Should I resubmit on Dec 1 and wait for other comments or just incorporate the good comments and apply for SA on Dec 1?

The bolded needs to be fixed. A legal resume, for a law student, is 1 page. I have 6+ years of work experience and had two jobs my 1L summer yet I am able to fit my legal resume onto 1 page.

OK, if I make suggested changes and fit it on one page should I be waiting for them to get back to me after Dec 1 or just go?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Just peer review it, find a 2l or 3l to look at it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 am

Cupidity wrote:Just peer review it, find a 2l or 3l to look at it

Lol my biglaw alumni mentor already says it looks fine...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:23 am

lul

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Just peer review it, find a 2l or 3l to look at it

Lol my biglaw alumni mentor already says it looks fine...

I wonder if he'll give you a job.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

you act like this is a giant task...December 1 is over a week from now.

if you don't have publications or other really important stuff, just make it a page.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:32 am

wiseowl wrote:you act like this is a giant task...December 1 is over a week from now.

if you don't have publications or other really important stuff, just make it a page.

it is not a task...just back in undergrad by OCS habitually made resume edit suggestions that irked the crap out of interviewers.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
wiseowl wrote:you act like this is a giant task...December 1 is over a week from now.

it is not a task...just back in undergrad by OCS habitually made resume edit suggestions that irked the crap out of interviewers.

then you have your answer. i had similar experiences last year. some of the suggestions OCS made were ridiculous, and some of the ones the interviewers made were ridiculous. up to you to figure out what's sensible. again, unless you're a non-trad with substantial work experience or you have a science background for IP with publications, you are not a special enough flower in your early 20s to go over a page.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:11 am

I have:

2 law schools
Undergrad
2 1L jobs
2L job
post-grad job (dif. firm)
post-grad clerkship
work experience

And it easily fits on a page.

Go back and delete stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I have:

2 law schools
Undergrad
2 1L jobs
2L job
post-grad clerkship
work experience

One page it is, thanks guys.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:19 am

2 law schools
Undergrad
2 1L jobs
2L job
post-grad clerkship
work experience

So you actually put your future jobs? I've been debating that.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:55 am

Aqualibrium wrote:

2 law schools
Undergrad
2 1L jobs
2L job
post-grad clerkship
work experience

So you actually put your future jobs? I've been debating that.

I felt like I had to, particularly because I'm not going back to the firm I SAed for, and I'm not starting at that firm until a year after I graduate law school, so I had to fill the gap. I just write (anticipated) by the dates, even though it's a done deal unless my judge dies and my firm closes down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Do you really anticipate it taking more than 5 minutes to update your resume?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 pm

im also curious why it has to be Dec.1. how slow is your OCS at getting back to you? lol 12/2 or 12/3 will not cripple your chances.

Return to “Legal Employment”