Symplicity Job Listings

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
djg2111

Symplicity Job Listings

Postby djg2111 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:56 am

Have any of you received interviews or jobs through the Symplicity job banks? Any idea how the hiring process differs from the standard OCI timeline, and what the odds of getting hired after pulling down an interview is? I'm especially interested in 3L stories, if anyone has any...

Anonymous User

Re: Symplicity Job Listings

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Yes, I've received an interview. Even in November. As firms realize that they need more in their summer classes, they either ask for resumes from your CDO or post on symplicity.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 pm

djg2111 wrote:Have any of you received interviews or jobs through the Symplicity job banks? Any idea how the hiring process differs from the standard OCI timeline, and what the odds of getting hired after pulling down an interview is? I'm especially interested in 3L stories, if anyone has any...

I just applied for a biglaw job on symplicity, so there is still a little bit of hiring going on. Your odds of getting hired after an interview are exactly 6.835:1 against.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I like that number. How did you get it? Guess? Or is there math to back it up?

djg2111

Postby djg2111 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I also like that number - I'm just curious if the odds are better than they are through OCI, since your resume got selected, or if they are worse, since there are so many people still looking for work. I don't know how many people firms interview for individual posted positions.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 pm

djg2111 wrote:I also like that number - I'm just curious if the odds are better than they are through OCI, since your resume got selected, or if they are worse, since there are so many people still looking for work. I don't know how many people firms interview for individual posted positions.

It probably depends heavily on your interviewing skills. If they're still hiring through symplicity, they probably only have a few jobs left, so I imagine the competition will be fierce.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm

I was interviewed for a firm that had 1 extra summer slot. I'm guessing that they did 10+ screeners for that slot, and they plan on doing call backs. I'm guessing that the competition is a little less fierce, since most have already accepted. I think that the people like Jazz, who don't care too much about their prior commitments, are few.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I just hired a summer law clerk through simplicity.

As an employer, here are my suggestions:

1) When you submit, get the name of the firm and the person correct.
2) Tailor your cover letter.
3) Keep your cover letter short.
4) When employers hire this way, we are reviewing applications and offering interviews on a rolling basis. So always check simplicity to see if a new job is posted and apply right away.
5) Pay attention to the job requirements, i.e. If it says "only interviewing current 2Ls, please don't apply if you're a 3L. We know the market is bad, but no one in LS has a resume that is going to change our minds as to our hiring needs. Its just not going to happen.
6) Provide what is asked of you (as far as resume, transcript, etc.), nothing more, nothing less.
7) If the employer asks for a 5 to 8 page writing sample, for the love of Sweet Jesus don't send a 12 page writing sample.
8 ) DON'T submit your application via simplicity and then send your application via regular e-mail to the hiring contact. Its beyond annoying.
9) Most important, see Number 4 again!
10) For the love of all that is holy, please proof read everything. I cannot tell you how many errors I noticed in the applications I reviewed. I received no less than 100 resumes in the 2 weeks the job was open for 1 spot. I was able to eliminate 75 applications for poor writing, simple errors and/or applicants that were not the correct year in school, etc.

Hope this is somewhat useful.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewed for a firm that had 1 extra summer slot. I'm guessing that they did 10+ screeners for that slot, and they plan on doing call backs. I'm guessing that the competition is a little less fierce, since most have already accepted. I think that the people like Jazz, who don't care too much about their prior commitments, are few.

To be fair, I care a great deal about my prior commitments, and this situation is causing me a lot of psychological stress. But I'm not willing to forgo this particular job opportunity because it is in the exact area I came to law school to practice and it is one of the top firms in the country. The law firms won't hesitate to defer/rescind me if shit goes bad, so I don't really understand why I should feel particularly loyal.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:33 pm

JazzOne wrote: the exact area I came to law school to practice

gimme a fucking break

unless you're ip, just stop now before i vomit all over my keyboard and come after you for the damage you caused to a perfectly good macbook

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 pm

doyleoil wrote:
JazzOne wrote: the exact area I came to law school to practice

gimme a fucking break

unless you're ip, just stop now before i vomit all over my keyboard and come after you for the damage you caused to a perfectly good macbook

It's IP. Sheesh. Sorry for fucking living.

Edit: Regardless of what specialty it is, I don't understand why you would begrudge someone for favoring that practice over another. It's not like I turned down my other offers or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:40 pm

I also had an interview through Symplicity. The firm was very upfront about the fact that they were only interviewing for one single slot in a particular department. They didn't tell me how many applicants they were interviewing, but from what I gathered from everything else, they had/have at least another 5 people coming in. So I've guessing that I've got a 1 in 6 chance...and I'm not optimistic about that, since I'm not a good interviewer.

The process was slightly different from the usual OCI in that I submitted a resume and transcript, they took their sweet time reviewing them, then asked for a writing sample, took their sweet time reviewing that as well, and then invited me for a full-blown callback interview. No screener.

I was told by career services that there may be some Symplicity listings in the spring as well. If the economy starts looking up, the firms may decide that they'll need more people in 2012, which means they'll need a couple more students in their summer class.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also had an interview through Symplicity. The firm was very upfront about the fact that they were only interviewing for one single slot in a particular department. They didn't tell me how many applicants they were interviewing, but from what I gathered from everything else, they had/have at least another 5 people coming in. So I've guessing that I've got a 1 in 6 chance...and I'm not optimistic about that, since I'm not a good interviewer.

The process was slightly different from the usual OCI in that I submitted a resume and transcript, they took their sweet time reviewing them, then asked for a writing sample, took their sweet time reviewing that as well, and then invited me for a full-blown callback interview. No screener.

I was told by career services that there may be some Symplicity listings in the spring as well. If the economy starts looking up, the firms may decide that they'll need more people in 2012, which means they'll need a couple more students in their summer class.

If by sweet time, you mean reviewing the other 500 applications... Then yes, that is what they were doing..

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:37 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also had an interview through Symplicity. The firm was very upfront about the fact that they were only interviewing for one single slot in a particular department. They didn't tell me how many applicants they were interviewing, but from what I gathered from everything else, they had/have at least another 5 people coming in. So I've guessing that I've got a 1 in 6 chance...and I'm not optimistic about that, since I'm not a good interviewer.

If by sweet time, you mean reviewing the other 500 applications... Then yes, that is what they were doing..

No need to be a sarcastic douche.

Someone was wondering how things were different from earlier in the semester. Well, I'm sure that earlier in the semester firms were inundated with 500+ applications yet got back to people very quickly. As for OCI (a glorified resume drop), even though writing samples were dropped off, they probably weren't even reviewed, since applicants were usually contacted the following day. No taking one's sweet time there. I was just drawing that distinction between how things are with the Symplicity process. It moves much more slowly. At least in my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:49 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I just hired a summer law clerk through simplicity.

4) When employers hire this way, we are reviewing applications and offering interviews on a rolling basis. So always check simplicity to see if a new job is posted and apply right away.
5) Pay attention to the job requirements, i.e. If it says "only interviewing current 2Ls, please don't apply if you're a 3L. We know the market is bad, but no one in LS has a resume that is going to change our minds as to our hiring needs. Its just not going to happen.
6) Provide what is asked of you (as far as resume, transcript, etc.), nothing more, nothing less.
7) If the employer asks for a 5 to 8 page writing sample, for the love of Sweet Jesus don't send a 12 page writing sample.
8 ) DON'T submit your application via simplicity and then send your application via regular e-mail to the hiring contact. Its beyond annoying.
10) For the love of all that is holy, please proof read everything. I cannot tell you how many errors I noticed in the applications I reviewed. I received no less than 100 resumes in the 2 weeks the job was open for 1 spot. I was able to eliminate 75 applications for poor writing, simple errors and/or applicants that were not the correct year in school, etc.

Not really that helpful; all you did was write some common sense. Also, didn't you just write some Lebron James like thread about your decision to transfer to small law. You said you were only a couple years out. That means you are reviewing resumes but "you" are not hiring anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Applied to a symplicity posting in August (deadline of August 31), callback invite on second week of October, callback took place at their office in first week of November.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 pm

LOL why do people get so sensitive on the internet?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not really that helpful; all you did was write some common sense. Also, didn't you just write some Lebron James like thread about your decision to transfer to small law. You said you were only a couple years out. That means you are reviewing resumes but "you" are not hiring anyone.

Actually, I reviewed all the resumes and then did screening interviews and then conducted the second round of interviews with the hiring partner and ultimately, the candidate i suggested got the job. So that, to me, would seem like hiring; no?

As far as "common sense" goes, tit really must not be all that common, as more than half the applications I reviewed had multiple failures as outlined above. However, I'm sorry that my post was not more helpful to you.

As far as my L-James rant.. I guess that was what you can call it.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:09 pm

how did you narrow down the last 25 apps?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 pm

I got my current job off of symplicity. It was/is a great in-house gig. Personally, I think Symplicity is a pretty valuable resource. You don't have nearly as many of the crap psotings that you have on craigslist, and it is a chance to learn about non-standard employment opportunites.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Borhas wrote:

how did you narrow down the last 25 apps?

Quality of the cover letter and resume was a big factor as far as how well it was put together, etc. Class rank and school made a difference, i.e. the lower the rank of the school the higher the grades needed to be considered for an interview. I also took into consideration, heavily, prior work experience and what the applicant did the first summer. I gave more points for people that worked in actual firms during the first summer than in “judicial externships” which I regard as, mostly, a bull shit position. That brought me down to about 10 apps. From that point, I reviewed writing samples. After that was done, I picked my top 8 or so and offered them interviews. Then a call back round with the top 4 candidates, at which point we picked the final applicant. Fit and personality played very heavily in the last cut, as this is a small firm and fit is important.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

I applied to a job posting for a V70 firm via Symplicity in mid-October...got a callback (no screening interview) about a week later, and offer soon after. So yes, its worth applying.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Quality of the cover letter and resume was a big factor as far as how well it was put together, etc. Class rank and school made a difference, i.e. the lower the rank of the school the higher the grades needed to be considered for an interview. I also took into consideration, heavily, prior work experience and what the applicant did the first summer. I gave more points for people that worked in actual firms during the first summer than in “judicial externships” which I regard as, mostly, a bull shit position. That brought me down to about 10 apps. From that point, I reviewed writing samples. After that was done, I picked my top 8 or so and offered them interviews. Then a call back round with the top 4 candidates, at which point we picked the final applicant. Fit and personality played very heavily in the last cut, as this is a small firm and fit is important.

that's helpful thanks man

a lot of people have told me a judicial externship would be a great thing to do for 1L... you think it's just a matter of different people having different perspectives/preferences?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm

I will have a real conundrum on my hands if they offer me a job, but I'll worry about that if/when it happens. The point is that the competition for top jobs didn't go away just because OCI is done. We can all renege on our offers.

This is what law firms call, "exercising bad judgment." You displayed an incredible lack of maturity by making this move.

The legal world is small. If your firm catches one whiff of this, you're toast. I hope it happens.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

that's helpful thanks man

a lot of people have told me a judicial externship would be a great thing to do for 1L... you think it's just a matter of different people having different perspectives/preferences?

It's just a matter of not that many people getting the opportunity to have 1L firm experience and judicial externships/ra positions being a dime a dozen.

Everyone does the latter, few people do the former. Quite naturally, the few that do the former will have some advantage in the application review process.

Return to “Legal Employment”