Summer Associate Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.

Black Allied Law Student Association or the like.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one not using mail merge. I don't want to mess anything up, and the stuff I have printed out for the firms (from NALP Directory) has the person I need to contact/their e-mail listed on it so it's pretty easy to just type that information in.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 am

.
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:55 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.

picture as second page of resume.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:59 am

Also, legally change your name to something ethnic like Tyrone or Jerome.

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby irie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:05 am

Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Also, legally change your name to something ethnic like Tyrone or Jerome.


LOL...I've been considering this option for years now.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 am

irie wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?

Just the opposite. People will be annoyed if they open an email to see a wall of text, and likely move on without reading it. PDF the cover/resume and do what OCS is telling you.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Just got a great opportunity through networking with a Sr. Associate at a V50 firm. Forwarding my resume to the recruitment manager/hiring partner and putting in a good word for me. *crosses fingers*

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Rand M. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Just got a great opportunity through networking with a Sr. Associate at a V50 firm. Forwarding my resume to the recruitment manager/hiring partner and putting in a good word for me. *crosses fingers*


Enviable.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Renzo wrote:
irie wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before... but what is the consensus on sending an abridged cover letter in the body of the email vs. sending a full-fledged pdf cover letter as attachment? OCS tells us to attach the CL and resume along with a short statement in the body of the email, but I get the feeling most attorneys won't even bother opening the pdf'd CL, and might even be a bit peeved by the 60kbs of space it wastes in their inbox.

Any thoughts?

Just the opposite. People will be annoyed if they open an email to see a wall of text, and likely move on without reading it. PDF the cover/resume and do what OCS is telling you.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby kurla88 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.


I have on occasion included a line about how the firm's commitment to diversity makes me feel welcome as a (race) (wo)man.

Idk if it helped or hurt.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.