Summer Associate Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Summer Associate Job Search

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 am

How do I actually do a mail merge?

Should I only send to firms on NALP that hire 1Ls, or should I include firms that don't hire 1Ls?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:How do I actually do a mail merge?
Save your firms in NALP and download the mail merge file. Type your letter in Word, then use the "mail merge manager" in the "tools" menu. It will let you put down placeholder values after you import the file, and will then create a zillion personalized copies based on your mail merge values. Then you have to go back and double check them, because lazy fucks in firms like to type in all caps and crap like that.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 am

Should I mention the firms by name in the cover letter, or does that look tacky.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:Should I mention the firms by name in the cover letter, or does that look tacky.

Hmm...why would it be tacky? Curious b/c I was planning on personalizing my cover letters to the greatest extent that I could.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 am

TTH wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Should I mention the firms by name in the cover letter, or does that look tacky.

Hmm...why would it be tacky? Curious b/c I was planning on personalizing my cover letters to the greatest extent that I could.

do this

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 am

Happy job hunting, all. Merry December 1st.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:29 pm

TTH wrote:

Because I'm going to mass mail a ton of firms. There really isn't time to customize to any significant degree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Career counsellor told me only to contact firms I don't care all too much about, aka regional ones. The idea being to wait until exams are over to target the ones I care more about via finding alumni, writing a better letter, etc.

Bad idea? :?

PS how many do people plan to target? And does it have to be TODAY DEC 1 or this week in general??

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Career counsellor told me only to contact firms I don't care all too much about, aka regional ones. The idea being to wait until exams are over to target the ones I care more about via finding alumni, writing a better letter, etc.

Bad idea? :?

PS how many do people plan to target? And does it have to be TODAY DEC 1 or this week in general??

Bad idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 pm

hey, thanks, same poster here. but again - these all should be out by the end of TODAY?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey, thanks, same poster here. but again - these all should be out by the end of TODAY?

I don't think your hopes are gone if you don't get them out today. I'm sending one batch out tomorrow and the second batch out on Friday.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey, thanks, same poster here. but again - these all should be out by the end of TODAY?

I don't think your hopes are gone if you don't get them out today. I'm sending one batch out tomorrow and the second batch out on Friday.

Yeah, I think you're fine if you get them in with the first wave. But the time frame in which this becomes an issue is measured in days not weeks or months.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Does the NALP file not have email addresses in the data fields?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does the NALP file not have email addresses in the data fields?

What do you mean?

Also, I'm stressing over the possibility of typos even though I have looked over and had my documents looked over numerous times.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 am

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 am

dood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
TTH wrote:

Because I'm going to mass mail a ton of firms. There really isn't time to customize to any significant degree.

use mail merge to swap of name of firms in ur letters.

i usually at least put the name of the firm in the 2nd sentence: "in particular, i believe my prior work experience in negotiating construction contracts would be especially relevant to k&l gates' construction law and government contracts practice."

and last sentence: "based on my construction industry experience, numchuck skillz, and general awesomeness, i believe i can make real contributions to k&l gates' construction law and government contracts practice."

Thanks dood.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 am

Food for thought:

I worked in a small firm and was able to get a good mix of transactional and litigation experience because we were handling a (relatively large) receivership case (very similar to bankruptcy, company is going under and trying to satisfy its creditors). I got to work on real-estate deals and commercial transactions and got to do motion work as well. I also got to deal with biglaw lawyers in the process as they rep'd the banks involved.

So if you strike out with big firms but are still interested in getting a flavor for doing transactional stuff, take a look at smaller bankruptcy firms.

Good luck all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 am

Renzo wrote:
Save your firms in NALP and download the mail merge file. Type your letter in Word, then use the "mail merge manager" in the "tools" menu. It will let you put down placeholder values after you import the file, and will then create a zillion personalized copies based on your mail merge values. Then you have to go back and double check them, because lazy fucks in firms like to type in all caps and crap like that.

OK SORRY but.... my careers services has not even mentioned this NALP site explicitly. Does this mail merge take a while? Do we need to create accounts, etc. etc. or is this spam process fairly easy to do? The books are calling... :evil:

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:

OK SORRY but.... my careers services has not even mentioned this NALP site explicitly. Does this mail merge take a while? Do we need to create accounts, etc. etc. or is this spam process fairly easy to do? The books are calling... :evil:

It basically just gives you a list of contracts. You still got to assemble emails and worse find email addresses. This is TTT.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:

It basically just gives you a list of contracts. You still got to assemble emails and worse find email addresses. This is TTT.

I helped a 1L with this a few hours ago and the NALP merge contained all data including the addresses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 am

How much are people "targeting" based on markets/practice areas/lit vs. corporate? I'm not saying we should be picky, but I'm curious how people are narrowing their search, if at all.

I sent out over 20 today to a couple of mid-size markets where I have ties, will send another few over the next few days when I need a study break, and do more over winter holiday.

Non-diverse HYS kid here, with work experience, for reference.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 am

It included email addresses? Mine didn't. Nalp does but the file you download doesn't have it.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:48 am

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.

Join the MCCA, and look for firms that have diversity hiring programs.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am applying this cycle and received my first admission today, but this thread has me thinking about the SA deal already. I am a URM AA male so I assume I should be looking to apply around this time next year.

How exactly would one denote that they are a URM to a firm. Seems a bit forward if you ask me to put it anywhere until an interview is requested or what not.

Just show up.

Return to “Legal Employment”