would assistant DA help you transfer into private practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

would assistant DA help you transfer into private practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

The reason I ask is because I am currently interning with my local DA's office. Assuming they keep me on after graduation, would my working there for 3 or so years open any doors? I am interested in litigation, and my hope is that with the experience gained from the DA I will be a strong candidate for private sector jobs. While I don't necesarily want big law litigation I would like a good paying job. Since these things are usually dependent on specific factors, mine are: lower t2, ranked about middle. While I know this wouldn't do shit for me in NYC, I am currently in a smaller city (scranton, toledo, trenton); so it's a little more local friendly. I would greatly appreciate any advice from current or former ADA's, or anyone with relevant information. Thanks in advance.

tome

Re: would assistant DA help you transfer into private practice?

Postby tome » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I have seen this on numerous private attorney's bios, so my guess is yes. But this is all I am basing it on.

blackacre

Postby blackacre » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I was told that ADAs are approached by headhunters from private firms frequently. You will have more trial experience after 5 years at the DA than the most of the partners. That's just what I hear from these people but it makes sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:06 am

blackacre wrote:I was told that ADAs are approached by headhunters from private firms frequently. You will have more trial experience after 5 years at the DA than the most of the partners. That's just what I hear from these people but it makes sense.

Who told you this, the manhattan DA? No ada i have spoken to has mentioned this at all.

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blackacre wrote:I was told that ADAs are approached by headhunters from private firms frequently. You will have more trial experience after 5 years at the DA than the most of the partners. That's just what I hear from these people but it makes sense.

Who told you this, the manhattan DA? No ada i have spoken to has mentioned this at all.

This was common in DC. Former AUSA's were scooped up. Some of the more senior ones even lateraled into partner.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:54 am

MartianManhunter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This was common in DC. Former AUSA's were scooped up. Some of the more senior ones even lateraled into partner.

AUSA is totally and completely different than ADA. AUSA jobs are much more desirable/competitive.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 am

AUSA is very different than a DA position. If you have grades/background to get into AUSA, you already have the credentials to land a solid biglaw job. As far as a DA position, 3 or 4 years at the Manhattan DA's office will help you move into a good firm afterward. # or 4 years at most DA offices will help you move into a middling plaintiff's firm or the insurance defense firm of your choice. On the positive side, your salary will double when you do.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Who told you this, the manhattan DA?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Would ADA hurt you in the fact that you would essentially be "specialized" into criminal law? would a mid to large frim which usually do not do criminal not be interested; or would the trial experience outweigh your lack of experience in other fields?

McBean

Postby McBean » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:35 pm

This is going to vary market by market. I'm sure you'll find out the answer during the summer just from talking to DAs. For the record, in Boston it is quite common for ADA from Suffolk and neighboring counties to transition out to smaller litigation heavy shops; i.e. insurance defense. But when you're making 37K a year in Boston, anything is a step up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

37k? I hope your kidding. In my current small market, ADA's make roughly 50k to start. I can't imagine living in Boston on 37k.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:14 pm

McBean wrote:This is going to vary market by market. I'm sure you'll find out the answer during the summer just from talking to DAs. For the record, in Boston it is quite common for ADA from Suffolk and neighboring counties to transition out to smaller litigation heavy shops; i.e. insurance defense. But when you're making 37K a year in Boston, anything is a step up.

Its lower than 37k. More like 32k.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would ADA hurt you in the fact that you would essentially be "specialized" into criminal law? would a mid to large frim which usually do not do criminal not be interested; or would the trial experience outweigh your lack of experience in other fields?

Criminal trials are not the same as civil trials. It's one thing to handle a run of the mill criminal jury trial (it's certainly a major accomplishment), but it's not the same as running a civil trial that involves years of discovery, literally millions of documents, and intense motions practice.

The thing that make AUSA's attractive is that they handle major, complex litigation that ADA's just don't see. Manhattan is an exception because New York state law allows for significant prosecution of financial crime.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:29 pm

The pattern I've seen is private practice --> ADA --> back to private practice on fast track to partner.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Its quite common for ADA's to leave and enter into criminal defense. I know a number who make great livings defending drunk drivers. Think Westchester, Rockland, Suffolk, Nassau County. I would say the both clear 200,000 and own their own private practices. I would bet that 75 percent of their success is based on knowing both the judges and the other ADA's in the criminal courts. Its not glamorous, but they do well for themselves.

Return to “Legal Employment”