Hearing back from government agencies

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hearing back from government agencies

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm

About how long does this process usually take or is it so unpredictable that there is no real time table in play. I have been waiting on IRS (just the standard summer intern program--not the honors program) for about 2.5 weeks. I would have thought I was a strong candidate (top 10% at T-14, had a couple of of biglaw offers in sweatshop litigation firms), but haven't heard anything since applying. Also do government firms contact you if you have been rejected?

Anonymous User

Re: Hearing back from government agencies

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm

There is LOTS of variability in hearing back from government agencies.

As a general rule, however, government tends to wait until they've interviewed all (or nearly all) of its callback candidates before making a decision. They usually have some internal deadline by which they try to respond to its candidates.

Thus, the timing depends on when, relative to other candidates, you were interviewed by the agency.

Government agencies will usually make a first round of offers and then it will wait ~28 days (NALP guidelines) and then make more offers if people reject the offer.

Re: rejections, the government is generally slower with rejections because they seem to not send those until the very end of the process. Thus, if you don't get the first round offer, it's difficult to tell if you're (1) an alternate or (2) rejected but won't receive a response for a long time.

Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:57 pm

I just received an offer from IRS. I did the OCI back in August-September, received an offer 2 weeks ago, while waiting for other results too. Some divisions ask you for a second interview. Some makes offers right away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just received an offer from IRS. I did the OCI back in August-September, received an offer 2 weeks ago, while waiting for other results too. Some divisions ask you for a second interview. Some makes offers right away.

Are you talking about the honors program or just the lowly IRS Summer Intern program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Every agency I have applied to and/or interviewed with is SO SLOW.

That is all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:53 am

I interviewed in September/October for the 2L SLIP program with the IRS and got my offer (SBSE, field office) about a week and a half or two weeks ago. I would imagine they're still contacting people.

Return to “Legal Employment”