Bigger market versus your school's market.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bigger market versus your school's market.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I attend a regional T2 in a secondary market that it dominates. While I would like to move to a bigger market, I dont hate the area I am at right now and can see myself living here after graduation. If I have virtually the same type of internship lined up in both locations, which should I take? Am I screwing myself over in my current area by taking an internship in NY being as if I dont get an offer from the NY place I wont have as many ties to my current region?

warumnicht

Re: Bigger market versus your school's market.

Postby warumnicht » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 am

School in itself is a very strong tie to your current region. If you do the internship in NY over the summer, you can always do externships during the school year to establish even more ties to the legal scene. In other words, you won't be screwed.

How familiar are you with NY? What makes you think that you'd like living there after graduation? I'm thinking that you should take advantage of this opportunity to explore the scene (both legal and otherwise) in NY. Also, if you think that you might get an offer and really want to be NY, jump on that now.

Aqualibrium

Re: Bigger market versus your school's market.

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 am

Depends on what your other ties to the market your school is in are, and how xenophobic the market is. If it's a very xenophobic market, you may have a hard time convincing firms that you are willing to stick around.

Return to “Legal Employment”