Summer Employment (Transactional)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Employment (Transactional)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently a 1L at GW and am getting ready to send out my resume/cover letter on Dec. 1st. I have an undergrad degree in finance and no work experience besides a few internships. I know for a fact that I want to do something related to business law (more transactional than litigation).

Where are the best places to apply for the summer that would give me experience with transactional issues?

seespotrun

Re: Summer Employment (Transactional)

Postby seespotrun » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Every biglaw firm in NYC, DC and any other city that you have ties. That and the SEC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Just get a good work experience somewhere, it doesn't have to be transactional (that's extremely hard to get for your 1L summer). The key is to get something where you can explain in OCI that you were able to work in a legal environment, was able to get writing experience, etc. Biglaw firms realize that most 1Ls can't get transactional experience, and I didn't find that to be a barrier for me during OCI interviews (also want to do transactional work; received 4 V50 offers, also from T-20 school).

Edit: Worked at DOJ Civil this summer (realize that's a huge division but prefer not to get into specific departments).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just get a good work experience somewhere, it doesn't have to be transactional (that's extremely hard to get for your 1L summer). The key is to get something where you can explain in OCI that you were able to work in a legal environment, was able to get writing experience, etc. Biglaw firms realize that most 1Ls can't get transactional experience, and I didn't find that to be a barrier for me during OCI interviews (also want to do transactional work; received 4 V50 offers, also from T-20 school).

Edit: Worked at DOJ Civil this summer (realize that's a huge division but prefer not to get into specific departments).

this is correct. i am a 2L with a social science degree. i was a judicial extern in my 1L summer and am doing solely transactional work for my 2L summer.

hit up the SEC, judges, corporate counsel internships, firms, etc. Cast a wide net.

20lawschool13

Postby 20lawschool13 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I was wondering about adding a joint degree to help with my lack of relevant we. I know that an MBA would not help very much but what about a Master of Science in Finance?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:23 am

Don't sweat the lack of WE. I came straight out of UG (so no WE), I did a 1L summer judicial internship, and I have a 2L corporate SA.

You can do it w/o the JD/MBA or MA. You don't need do add all of that extra work/ expense. Just get good grades.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 am

Look for in-house counsel type positions both at corporations and at organizations that don't pay - e.g.: school district, city law department, random charities, museums etc.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Added plug for city law departments or county attorneys - these places really act as full service firms (especially the self-insured localities). Some places will handle everything from torts, 1983 claims to environmental work, appellate, and affirmative litigation.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Added plug for city law departments or county attorneys - these places really act as full service firms (especially the self-insured localities). Some places will handle everything from torts, 1983 claims to environmental work, appellate, and affirmative litigation.

Interned for a city attorney as an undergrad. Vamedic03 is credited.

Return to “Legal Employment”