Research Inquiry Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KeepitKind

Bronze

Research Inquiry

Post by KeepitKind » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

------

I have seen knowledgeable TLS'ers, specifically SBL, tout Research Assistant positions as a valuable way to spend ur 1L summer. I have one professor I really admire and I'm interested in his current research. When would be an appropriate time to ask him if he has any RA positions open for the summer, i.e. is it too early now before I've taken the final in his class?

Thanks in advance!

------

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Research Inquiry

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:20 pm

KeepitKind wrote:------

I have seen knowledgeable TLS'ers, specifically SBL, tout Research Assistant positions as a valuable way to spend ur 1L summer. I have one professor I really admire and I'm interested in his current research. When would be an appropriate time to ask him if he has any RA positions open for the summer, i.e. is it too early now before I've taken the final in his class?

Thanks in advance!

------
Now is the perfect time.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Not to hijack - but do professors have RA's during the year? I'd really like to try and get one next semester (2L here)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:06 pm

stinger35 wrote:Not to hijack - but do professors have RA's during the year? I'd really like to try and get one next semester (2L here)
Many do, and sometimes they fill positions from already interested students before they even announce anything. Bring it up yourself. Just be like, "I was curious if you might be looking for an RA in the near future and how I'd apply?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah I would apply asap for RA positions. Last year only one of my professors actually announced that he was accepting applications, and I didn't see a single listing on Symplicity. My legal writing professor actually reached out to me, and several others, at the end of a meeting about one of the memo assignments.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”