International employment. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ragged

Silver

International employment.

Post by Ragged » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 pm

How does one go about finding legal employment oversees. Perheps with an american company, but located in a different country. Do those types of firms go to law schools to recruit? Is it common to find such work? How competative are those types of position?

Anyone familiar with this issue, I would appreciate any insight with regard to contacting such employers, interviewing, pros/cons of such positions and anything else you care to impart.

I apologize if there is already such a thread.

Anonymous User

Re: International employment.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Most vault firms have offices abroad.

I have heard of students hired as summer associates for US offices and at the end of the summer, permanently placed in foreign offices. I have also heard of students hired directly as summer associates for foreign offices. Some firms (e.g. Magic circle firms) allow two-office splits (e.g. New York and London) during the summer.

It's the same recruiting process for biglaw offices abroad, except that you have to indicate an interest in the foreign office during your bidding process and screening interview.

The cons are: (1) working abroad limits you to certain practice areas (you can typically only work in certain transactional practice groups like capital markets); and (2) working abroad limits your mobility (it's easier to start at the headquarters of a US based firm and later transfer abroad than vice versa).

While there are intangible benefits to working abroad, I'm not really sure what tangible benefits exist.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:17 am

That clarifies alot. Thanks for your reply.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:21 am

One of the "tangible" benefits of working for US companies and firms abroad is collecting wages as an ex-pat. Because of weird tax loopholes, you will save a lot more money than you could at home. There are also typically a lot of fringe benefits for living abroad, like company cars and housing allowances that you wouldn't otherwise get.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:41 am

grrrstick wrote:One of the "tangible" benefits of working for US companies and firms abroad is collecting wages as an ex-pat. Because of weird tax loopholes, you will save a lot more money than you could at home. There are also typically a lot of fringe benefits for living abroad, like company cars and housing allowances that you wouldn't otherwise get.
You probably won't get those tax benefits if you're a citizen of that country though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”