Thoughts on AG summer internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on AG summer internship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 pm

So I go to a school ranked between 20-26. Top third, secondary journal, clinic experience. I wiped out at OCI. I had a fair number of callbacks but could not stick anywhere. I have been judged as a decent to above average interviewer. If I had to guess why I did not stick I would say probably because the market I was applying to was small, and my ties were not as great as my competition (ie; I am originally from the market, but went to college and law school elsewhere, spent my 1L summer elsewhere, and ended up competing with locals from the top of the local schools for those jobs).

I have accepted the fact that BigLaw is not happening, and I would be lucky to grab a mid-sized firm. I have applied aggressively to a number of local state jobs as well. I am right now under consideration for an internship at the Attorney General's Office.

Do you think that working at the AG's office my 2L summer would look good on my resume if I ultimately want to end up in a reputable small or mid-sized firm? Or would this doom my plans to work in private practice?

harborleaguemvp

Re: Thoughts on AG summer internship

Postby harborleaguemvp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I am in the exact same boat

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 pm

A true small/midsized firm isn't going to make a fuss about the fact that you didn't get on the biglaw wheel. I think, if your ambition is to work for a small/midsized firm, what's important is that you have a legal job this summer, and that it be in the city/state/region you want to practice in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 pm

bump. thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”