30,000 legal jobs per year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mpasi

Bronze

Re: 30,000 legal jobs per year?

Post by mpasi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 am

IAFG wrote:
mpasi wrote:
IAFG wrote: contribute to the education arms race. a doctorate for every starbucks barista! MBA for every roofer!
Jokes like that in this economy aren't funny. :|
true - you can't get a job roofing
Not if every roofer gets an MBA, no. I'm just saying that the idea that an advanced degree being a worthless piece of paper is frightening.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:46 am

meh worst case scenario I'll volunteer somewhere and work for some pocket money until I get paying legal work. I'd probably have to pay sub-required payments to avoid default [for the rest of my life]... think you can only default on loan if skip payments, but paying what you can afford even if it's less than the required amount may avoid default without leading to impoverishment.

Being somewhat poor is really not that bad, and since lawyers are essentially servants it's somewhat appropriate.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:49 am

mpasi wrote:
IAFG wrote:
mpasi wrote:
IAFG wrote: contribute to the education arms race. a doctorate for every starbucks barista! MBA for every roofer!
Jokes like that in this economy aren't funny. :|
true - you can't get a job roofing
Not if every roofer gets an MBA, no. I'm just saying that the idea that an advanced degree being a worthless piece of paper is frightening.
i mean you can be scared but its true.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:52 am

JazzOne wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I am going to a T20 in the market I want to practice in on a large scholarship, and even then it was still a gut-wrenching decision.
So credited. Buyer's remorse abject terror sucks.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:57 am

I don't feel like reading the last 5 pages of this, but has anyone talked Tso out of hanging up a shingle after law school yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:59 am

SBL wrote:I don't feel like reading the last 5 pages of this, but has anyone talked Tso out of hanging up a shingle after law school yet?
Not in this thread, maybe elsewhere

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:05 am

SBL wrote:I don't feel like reading the last 5 pages of this, but has anyone talked Tso out of hanging up a shingle after law school yet?
It is okay he has a sugar mama

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:11 am

IAFG wrote:
I don't know if he realizes that the rate he quoted for malpractice insurance is going to, in all probability, go up. A lot.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:06 am

IAFG wrote:
I don't know what the implication is exactly...I didn't literally mean that my SO is going to be paying all of my rent, just that she has a stable engineering job that will allow me to take a little more risk than the typical law grad (that plus the fact that I am only taking on ~60k debt).

I don't understand the problem with family members supporting one another until they get their careers under way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:42 pm

General Tso wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I don't know what the implication is exactly...I didn't literally mean that my SO is going to be paying all of my rent, just that she has a stable engineering job that will allow me to take a little more risk than the typical law grad (that plus the fact that I am only taking on ~60k debt).

I don't understand the problem with family members supporting one another until they get their careers under way.
I'm actually with Tso on this one. It's not like she's supporting him while he wastes time in some shitty rock band; the guy has a J.D. and is just trying to get established as an attorney in a bad economy. Could take a couple years, and it says a lot about his gf that she's willing to support him through it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:52 pm

SBL wrote: I'm actually with Tso on this one. It's not like she's supporting him while he wastes time in some shitty rock band; the guy has a J.D. and is just trying to get established as an attorney in a bad economy. Could take a couple years, and it says a lot about his gf that she's willing to support him through it.
I was giving her credit before I started trolling. If that constitutes a ban, I will understand. In fact you should just IP ban NU. It would improve the post quality on this site.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

IAFG wrote:
SBL wrote: I'm actually with Tso on this one. It's not like she's supporting him while he wastes time in some shitty rock band; the guy has a J.D. and is just trying to get established as an attorney in a bad economy. Could take a couple years, and it says a lot about his gf that she's willing to support him through it.
I was giving her credit before I started trolling. If that constitutes a ban, I will understand. In fact you should just IP ban NU. It would improve the post quality on this site.
Subtle finals panic showing through in thinly veiled self-ban request.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:11 am

SBL wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I am still in LRW suicidal dispair, not yet finals panic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 am

IAFG wrote:
SBL wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I am still in LRW suicidal dispair, not yet finals panic.
QF bottom 10%. If you haven't done at least 6 practices exams by now, you are destined for failure.*

You'd better go find a guy who will pay your rent while you hang a shingle-post graduation!

*not really. Well, probably not really. Possibly?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”