How bad IS it at WashUStl? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blackacre

New

Re: How bad IS it at WashUStl?

Post by blackacre » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.
Im saying the person who is between top 5-10% from there is not going to be getting biglaw in LA or san fran or Texas or anything that is relatively far because it doesnt have national reach.
You are talking out of your ass. If you are the top of your class, you can get biglaw anywhere. Sure, you'll get dinged some places but to say that you can't get anything in LA or San Fran or that oh-so-coveted and oh-so-exclusive Texas is just pure garbage.

Seriously, where do you kids come up with this stuff? Everyone just repeats all the uninformed things they hear on these boards and then spew them like the truth. It's ridiculous.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:04 pm

blackacre wrote:
Don't see what you're saying here. Top 5-10% at almost any t1 school is gonna have a good chance to get something in any major market.
Im saying the person who is between top 5-10% from there is not going to be getting biglaw in LA or san fran or Texas or anything that is relatively far because it doesnt have national reach.
You are talking out of your ass. If you are the top of your class, you can get biglaw anywhere. Sure, you'll get dinged some places but to say that you can't get anything in LA or San Fran or that oh-so-coveted and oh-so-exclusive Texas is just pure garbage.

Seriously, where do you kids come up with this stuff? Everyone just repeats all the uninformed things they hear on these boards and then spew them like the truth. It's ridiculous.
It's like listening to celebrities talk about public policy.

--LinkRemoved--

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 pm

blackacre wrote:

+1.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm

2l at Tulane. This notion that top 10 percent is still screwed is uninformed bs. While prospects rapidly decline beyond that marker, the great majority in the top ten percent are landing biglaw. This is just a fact. Deal with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

pocket herc wrote:2l at Tulane. This notion that top 10 percent is still screwed is uninformed bs. While prospects rapidly decline beyond that marker, the great majority in the top ten percent are landing biglaw. This is just a fact. Deal with it.
This thread is not about the top 10%, ty though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 pm

It veered off in that direction and I was responding to that

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Generally, here you go:

Top 10%- Models and bottles
Top 20%- Pretty good shot at biglaw
Top 1/3- A small shot at biglaw
Outside 1/3- Very little shot unless you have some sort of stellar background or a connection of some sort

But biglaw =/= the only law jobs. It gets a hell of a lot harder if you don't land big law, but there are jobs and most students at WUSTL will end up with something, but it may take longer and it may be harder to find. And yes, some students at WUSTL (a pretty decent number) are screwed.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Dear Reader,

The situation is grim. In my 2L gunner course this morning (Federal Evidence of Courts in Advanced Civil Procedure or some shit), the feminist chick teaching jokes that with 1/3 of the class absent, "There must be a lot of callbacks!" This from the same cunt who makes weekly jokes about how she drives a "non curat LEXUS." Yeah, A-B is funding your whorish lifestyle.

Really, "callbacks" (if one can call a second round of screening interviews near Wash Ave. a "callback") ended a month ago, but don't tell the clueless professors that. They think that the law market is just dandy.

My own bitterness is just a coping mechanism, I guess. The guy next to me was licking envelopes. He told me that every day since August 1, he'd send a copy of his resume to Kirkland and Sidley. "My grandpa lived in Chicago when he was 7, and I've always dreamed about practicing there," he muttered, rocking forward on his chair as he sealed a letter dated "November 2." "One of these will click with them, I know it."

I don't know where the rest of the class was. Some probably drunk; others shopping for resume paper. But those who *did* show up looked like the 1L gunners all over again. The front row was crowded; hands shot in the air at every raised inflection in the prof's voice; and highlighters clacked and rolled down the tables.

The lunch meeting will be dangerous, I fear.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 9446105d82

wildcats2008

New

Post by wildcats2008 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm

"Generally, here you go:

Top 10%- Models and bottles
Top 20%- Pretty good shot at biglaw
Top 1/3- A small shot at biglaw
Outside 1/3- Very little shot unless you have some sort of stellar background or a connection of some sort

But biglaw =/= the only law jobs. It gets a hell of a lot harder if you don't land big law, but there are jobs and most students at WUSTL will end up with something, but it may take longer and it may be harder to find. And yes, some students at WUSTL (a pretty decent number) are screwed."

OL here interested in IP law, which I have heard is doing relatively well compared other
areas of law. How would you adjust that breakdown for IP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:27 pm

This thread and the autoadmit one has given me a good laugh.

Anyone have Haley for contracts? Confused me with his frickin "barrels."

His recipes on his finals? LOL

His hand-picked, custom fabric for his bow-ties? :mrgreen:

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 pm

nealric wrote:
Dear Reader,

The situation is grim. In my 2L gunner course this morning (Federal Evidence of Courts in Advanced Civil Procedure or some shit), the feminist chick teaching jokes that with 1/3 of the class absent, "There must be a lot of callbacks!" This from the same cunt who makes weekly jokes about how she drives a "non curat LEXUS." Yeah, A-B is funding your whorish lifestyle.

Really, "callbacks" (if one can call a second round of screening interviews near Wash Ave. a "callback") ended a month ago, but don't tell the clueless professors that. They think that the law market is just dandy.

My own bitterness is just a coping mechanism, I guess. The guy next to me was licking envelopes. He told me that every day since August 1, he'd send a copy of his resume to Kirkland and Sidley. "My grandpa lived in Chicago when he was 7, and I've always dreamed about practicing there," he muttered, rocking forward on his chair as he sealed a letter dated "November 2." "One of these will click with them, I know it."

I don't know where the rest of the class was. Some probably drunk; others shopping for resume paper. But those who *did* show up looked like the 1L gunners all over again. The front row was crowded; hands shot in the air at every raised inflection in the prof's voice; and highlighters clacked and rolled down the tables.

The lunch meeting will be dangerous, I fear.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 9446105d82
that thread was full of win...kudos to whomever wrote it

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread and the autoadmit one has given me a good laugh.

Whoever this is, you are my hero.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread and the autoadmit one has given me a good laugh.

Haley's affectionate nickname here at Vandy is "Grandpa Haley."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amonynous_ivdinidual

New

Post by amonynous_ivdinidual » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:20 pm

"that thread was full of win...kudos to whomever wrote it"

read and learn:
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:25 pm

amonynous_ivdinidual wrote:"that thread was full of win...kudos to whomever wrote it"

read and learn:
lol, epic fail.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

beachbum wrote:
amonynous_ivdinidual wrote:"that thread was full of win...kudos to whomever wrote it"

read and learn:
lol, epic fail.
This. Maddox used to be funny, but now is not.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:44 pm

rad law wrote:
beachbum wrote:

read and learn:
lol, epic fail.
This. Maddox used to be funny, but now is not.
But he can beat a dead horse like a pro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I can only offer some anecdotal evidence, in part because this is a touchy subject, much like grades or income, that people avoid out of politeness.

I'm top 20% and I landed a V50 SA position. My friends on Law Review seem to be doing well. Two are taking Biglaw gigs in Chicago. Another in D.C.. A couple are working NY Biglaw, one for Cravath.

Several others have landed jobs at Midlaw firms in various locations.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can only offer some anecdotal evidence, in part because this is a touchy subject, much like grades or income, that people avoid out of politeness.

I'm top 20% and I landed a V50 SA position. My friends on Law Review seem to be doing well. Two are taking Biglaw gigs in Chicago. Another in D.C.. A couple are working NY Biglaw, one for Cravath.

pre-LS W/E?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm at WashU, so far it seems

top 1/3rd of class is doing good. Lots of call backs, people getting SAs in Chicago/NY and even DC, which is supposed to be the toughest market to crack
Also, a small group got jobs through the semester intership programs in DC to.
In the middle third, it seems the people with jobs were IPSECURE before starting lawl school, or had decent work experience.
Another group in the middle third seems to have found decent midlaw in places like Kansas city, Indianapolis, etc
In the bottom third, only URMs and people who's parents are movers and shakers got big law or anything paying along those lines. The URMS in particular seem to be doing just fine(a few had 1L jerbs that turned into 2l jerbs), as can be expected

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at WashU, so far it seems

top 1/3rd of class is doing good. Lots of call backs, people getting SAs in Chicago/NY and even DC, which is supposed to be the toughest market to crack
Also, a small group got jobs through the semester intership programs in DC to.
In the middle third, it seems the people with jobs were IPSECURE before starting lawl school, or had decent work experience.
Another group in the middle third seems to have found decent midlaw in places like Kansas city, Indianapolis, etc
In the bottom third, only URMs and people who's parents are movers and shakers got big law or anything paying along those lines. The URMS in particular seem to be doing just fine(a few had 1L jerbs that turned into 2l jerbs), as can be expected

Top 1/3 get jobs outside of NYC no problem? That sounds better than my T14. (Top 20% models and bottles delivered to your door, top 33% anywhere if you know how to play the recruiting game, top 60% NYC+ if you play said game well. Or so it seems.) Time to drink.
-OCIpwned

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can only offer some anecdotal evidence, in part because this is a touchy subject, much like grades or income, that people avoid out of politeness.

pre-LS W/E?

yeah i'm not sure what that means.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

pre-LS W/E?

yeah i'm not sure what that means.
Pre-law school work experience. People who come straight from undergrad flip out over this and worry whether it will keep them from being hireable at OCI.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:48 am

stratocophic wrote:Pre-law school work experience. People who come straight from undergrad flip out over this and worry whether it will keep them from being hireable at OCI.
Well with people like rayiner saying, "Every person I know who came straight out undergrad underperformed their numbers," it gives us a reason to be worried.

Plus people with W/E can still make themselves stand out without great grades. But if you are a straight from UG person and your grades are mediocre, then what?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Pre-law school work experience. People who come straight from undergrad flip out over this and worry whether it will keep them from being hireable at OCI.
Well with people like rayiner saying, "Every person I know who came straight out undergrad underperformed their numbers," it gives us a reason to be worried.

Plus people with W/E can still make themselves stand out without great grades. But if you are a straight from UG person and your grades are mediocre, then what?
Man, I'm not saying the same thing doesn't go through my mind on a regular basis :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”