Law Firm Recruiting Specific Students

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Firm Recruiting Specific Students

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 pm

On the college level, we know about schools that selectively target certain high school students and hope they matriculate at their college. (ie. high school super star athletes, high schoolers who were national debate/public speaking champions).

For law firms, have you ever heard of law firms (would they?) that target specific students like they do in high school/college?

Mike12188

Re: Law Firm Recruiting Specific Students

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the college level, we know about schools that selectively target certain high school students and hope they matriculate at their college. (ie. high school super star athletes, high schoolers who were national debate/public speaking champions).

For law firms, have you ever heard of law firms (would they?) that target specific students like they do in high school/college?

I'm a 0L so I won't write a smartass response, but I will come back to read them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Some patent prosecution boutiques mainly recruit students with technical work experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 pm

But how do they (patent prosecution boutiques) recruit those selected students?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But how do they (patent prosecution boutiques) recruit those selected students?

Are you asking if the law firms initiate the recruiting process? If so, then I've never heard of that. Usually students do the first step.

For example, students may participate in the Loyola Patent Interview Program, OCI, students self-submit resumes and they screen them, go to various regional IP interview programs, firms sometimes contact school's IP club with job announcements, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Supposedly some firms actively recruit ed board members of law journals (like the editor-in-chief of law review).

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the college level, we know about schools that selectively target certain high school students and hope they matriculate at their college. (ie. high school super star athletes, high schoolers who were national debate/public speaking champions).

Yes. Also,
--ImageRemoved--

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 pm

I've heard of LR editorial board being contacted. Not so much outside of that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Thank you for your insights.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 am

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:57 am

dood wrote:white & case sent emails to the LR editors and several diversity orgs at my law school urging them to apply. this was after we had submitted OCI bids. the consensus was that no one bid on that sinking ship, they realized they would be getting no SAs, and got scared.

Haha. That happened here too, albeit with a different firm. After OCI, 2 firms came back to our school and conducted screeners again. Another firm initiated another round of call-backs like last week. Its sort of annoying given the amount of people these firms rejected - I guess now they'll dig a little deeper into the class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44 pm

I heard a story about a big firm in Boston offering a 1L summer associate position to lure in their pre-determined "top candidate" at Harvard as a 1L so he'd return for his 2L (not knowing anything about his future grades, etc.) I don't know a) if that's true and b) how they picked that guy before grades came out.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard a story about a big firm in Boston offering a 1L summer associate position to lure in their pre-determined "top candidate" at Harvard as a 1L so he'd return for his 2L (not knowing anything about his future grades, etc.) I don't know a) if that's true and b) how they picked that guy before grades came out.

That kind of just sounds like describing a 1L SA position. The idea is always to lure you back. They can pick you before grades come out because some people come to law school with years of substantive work experience.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Would bet my next semester's loan disbursement that the 1L was an Ivy educated URM who worked somewhere "prestigious" before law school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 am

But how would law firms know which students have substantial work experience?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:But how would law firms know which students have substantial work experience?

Well, the deadline to apply is December 1st. Grades aren't out till January.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 am

2LLLL wrote:Would bet my next semester's loan disbursement that the 1L was an Ivy educated URM who worked somewhere "prestigious" before law school

more likely did SEO

Return to “Legal Employment”