Big Law vs SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law vs SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Not sure exactly what I want to do or where I want to end up. Which would give me the most options after graduation? I won't be able to split the summer.

Anonymous User

Re: Big Law vs SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure exactly what I want to do or where I want to end up. Which would give me the most options after graduation? I won't be able to split the summer.
Which SLIP office did you get an offer for?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure exactly what I want to do or where I want to end up. Which would give me the most options after graduation? I won't be able to split the summer.
Depends what you plan to do:

Do you plan to clerk?

Are you sure you want to work for government right away?

Something to consider - the vast majority of big law hiring happens 2L. Honors program hiring is separate from SLIP, and only a couple of components do funneling, so you take a bigger risk doing SLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Imagine you've taken SLIP. Do you feel anxious or regretful? Do the same with your firm offer. Don't underestimate the power of that "gut feeling."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 am

What if you struck out at OCI and accept a SLIP offer.....will it make you more desirable as a 3L at OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:What if you struck out at OCI and accept a SLIP offer.....will it make you more desirable as a 3L at OCI?
It certainly won't hurt you, and it will show that you were able to land a prestigious position, but you'll have to explain why you went for government over a firm (without saying you struck out). Most importantly though, you probably struck out because your grades were lower than some of your classmates, so work on getting them up 2L year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 am

Exactly how prestigious is SLIP? Is it as coveted as Big Law?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Exactly how prestigious is SLIP? Is it as coveted as Big Law?
Pure prestige? Its much, much harder to get SLIP than biglaw in general. I'll be at a V20 this summer and I didn't even get sent to component review on SLIP - and I have a ton of WE, USAO internship 1st year.

Problem is, it often doesn't lead to a full-time job. I'd imagine it would be a great line on a resume for other honors programs that focus on lit. Its a risk, but if you don't have a firm job lined up, or really want to work for the gov, its not a bad position to be in at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Exactly how prestigious is SLIP? Is it as coveted as Big Law?
Pure prestige? Its much, much harder to get SLIP than biglaw in general. I'll be at a V20 this summer and I didn't even get sent to component review on SLIP - and I have a ton of WE, USAO internship 1st year.

Problem is, it often doesn't lead to a full-time job. I'd imagine it would be a great line on a resume for other honors programs that focus on lit. Its a risk, but if you don't have a firm job lined up, or really want to work for the gov, its not a bad position to be in at all.
How important is what division you've been assigned to when it comes to prestige or future opportunities? Say you eventually want to work for the gov, would it be safer to turn down SLIP, take a big law SA position and then apply for the gov job and if you don't get the gov job, you have big law to fall back on? Like you said, SLIP itself most likely won't lead to a full-time job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am

if i could only do 1 i would do biglaw. Most firms now a days have a 50% + offer rate. Some are even higher.

You dont want to be going into your 3L year with no job.

Slip rarely gives funnel offers. I spoke to someone at one of the antitrust offices and they told me that their office hasn't hired any fresh grads in 5 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am

I've done SLIP and biglaw.

TAKE BIGLAW IF YOU CAN'T SPLIT.

My summer, there were NO FUNNEL OFFERS. None. You can always apply to DOJ honors as a 3L after you've snagged that biglaw offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 am

Would taking SLIP open any doors that big law wouldn't?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've done SLIP and biglaw.

TAKE BIGLAW IF YOU CAN'T SPLIT.

My summer, there were NO FUNNEL OFFERS. None. You can always apply to DOJ honors as a 3L after you've snagged that biglaw offer.
Did you split your summer? Also, did you apply to honors after your SLIP summer? If so, how did that turn out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 am

Did you split your summer? Also, did you apply to honors after your SLIP summer? If so, how did that turn out?
Different summers. I did not apply to honors after SLIP summer for fear of jeopardizing the biglaw offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Different summers. I did not apply to honors after SLIP summer for fear of jeopardizing the biglaw offer.
How'd you do different summers if slip is done your 2L year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 am

How'd you do different summers if slip is done your 2L year?
You can do SLIP post 3L year if you are doing a joint degree that continues after 3L year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”