conflicts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

under what circumstances would other legal employment constitute a conflict where a summer associate position would be rescinded?

ive spoken with the HR director at the firm i'll be summering with and told her about the part-time job i'm taking next semester and was told to put it down on the conflicts check form and that if there were any conflicts that they would just make sure i didn't handle that matter. on the employment contract, however, it states that employment is contingent upon a conflicts check - so in what situations would a part-time employment cause me to "fail" the conflicts check and lose my position?

sorry if i'm being paranoid; i really like this part-time opportunity but wouldnt want it to jeopardize my SA position... they're in related fields (IP) if that makes any difference.

Anonymous User

Re: conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 am

anyone?

have you ever heard of someone getting an offer pulled because of a conflict? or will they usually just screen you and make sure you don't work on that case?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 am

Dude. Just calm down a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:18 pm

anyone?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone?

have you ever heard of someone getting an offer pulled because of a conflict? or will they usually just screen you and make sure you don't work on that case?

How serious is the conflict.... I mean your an associate so you don't have much experience, cant be too easily conflicted out of so much work that it would be hard for the firm to find you work. Conflicts seem to really hurt lateraling senior associates and esp. partners more.
Now if you are looking work at a small firm, that has few clients and you are conflicted with all of them they may pull your offer. Most major firms will not.

I will be conflicted out of certain work (2 separate clients) this summer at the firm I am working with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm

If you're going to a biglaw firm, it is safe to assume that they have so many clients, such that being screened off from a few isn't sufficient to cause your offer to be rescinded.

In terms of conflicts checking, what matters isn't so much that there aren't conflicts. You can just be put on matters that don't involve the clients you're conflicted out of representing (or going against). It starts to matter when you're conflicted out of everything the firm can give you. But, again, I find it hard to believe that you would be in such a position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 pm

thanks for the responses!! feel much better now.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Unless you're conflicted against Goldman and trying to get a job at S&C you probably don't need to worry

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 am

may be a problem if you're working for someone/somewhere that the firm has had a history of bad blood with.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:under what circumstances would other legal employment constitute a conflict where a summer associate position would be rescinded?

ive spoken with the HR director at the firm i'll be summering with and told her about the part-time job i'm taking next semester and was told to put it down on the conflicts check form and that if there were any conflicts that they would just make sure i didn't handle that matter. on the employment contract, however, it states that employment is contingent upon a conflicts check - so in what situations would a part-time employment cause me to "fail" the conflicts check and lose my position?

sorry if i'm being paranoid; i really like this part-time opportunity but wouldnt want it to jeopardize my SA position... they're in related fields (IP) if that makes any difference.
Sounds more like "you have to do a conflicts check before you start" than "a conflict is grounds for rescission." Listen to RM and relax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:may be a problem if you're working for someone/somewhere that the firm has had a history of bad blood with.

just curious - any truth to this statement?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:may be a problem if you're working for someone/somewhere that the firm has had a history of bad blood with.

just curious - any truth to this statement?

This statement is a tad general to provide any real insight...

So lets say if you're a receptionist at a giant textile company that has "bad blood" with your new firm.. probably not a problem. If you're the son of the CEO, probably a problem.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT STUPID SHIT

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:This statement is a tad general to provide any real insight...

So lets say if you're a receptionist at a giant textile company that has "bad blood" with your new firm.. probably not a problem. If you're the son of the CEO, probably a problem.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT STUPID SHIT

Then again, GOB got a job with Sitwell.

Return to “Legal Employment”