Are concentrations worthwhile?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Black-Blue

Are concentrations worthwhile?

Postby Black-Blue » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:07 pm

My T1 offers concentrations programs that makes a note on your transcript. Are concentrations useful for employment purposes? I've always thought that they are useless, even for specialized fields such as IP, tax, and regulatory, and could pigeon hole you to some extent.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Are concentrations worthwhile?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Generally, the smaller the firm, the more concentrations will help. It's a good way to sell yourself into practicing in certain areas with small employers.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Generally, the smaller the firm, the more concentrations will help. It's a good way to sell yourself into practicing in certain areas with small employers.

Unless the firm is looking to hire good, well-rounded attorneys instead of [insert specialization here] attorneys.

My vote: not worthwhile; unless the classes you have taken will already allow you to put the name on the paper. This isn't college where you pick a major.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't think they are worthwhile unless you know exactly what you want to do and aren't willing to compromise.

Return to “Legal Employment”