opportunities from Emory

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Blindmelon

Re: opportunities from Emory

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 am

rad law wrote:
Omerta wrote:I don't know if this year will be a good indicator for what Emory's performance should be. The school screwed up the yield curve so there are way more students than there should be (280-90 instead of 200-205). My advice would be don't come here if you want to go Northeast or if you're paying full tuition. Personally, I wanted to stay in the deep south and I wasn't willing to take out the 80k+ loans I would have needed at other schools. I think it would be idiotic to come to Emory if you wouldn't be content with staying in the Southeast.

edit: I'm a 1L at Emory.

So they're 280 or so 1Ls or 2Ls? Either way, man, that was really dumb.

Dumb? More like the school raking in tuition money. Whoopsie, we over-enrolled!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

NY was practically a no fly zone with all the no-offers last year, IIRC, while Chicago was regarded to be a much safer bet. I seem to recall Michiganders etc. mentioning that their CS office steered them into oblivion by telling them to bid heavy on Chicago.

What? No. Chicago was a bloodbath during 2009 OCI too. It was even worse than this year (if that can be imagined). Career services thought it would be a safer bet, but as usual, they were wrong. But because most law students were none the wiser, the competition for Chicago was stiffer because many were bidding on OCS's advice.

And the whole "no fly zone" bit with respect to no-offers is pretty gross spin. The "no offer" phenomenon wasn't limited to NYC last year, and there's nothing particular to NYC that would make it more prone to a higher proportion of no offers than other markets. No offers happened at many firms, NY or otherwise, because they were all caught with their pants down when recruiting in 2008.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 pm

rad law wrote:
Omerta wrote:I don't know if this year will be a good indicator for what Emory's performance should be. The school screwed up the yield curve so there are way more students than there should be (280-90 instead of 200-205). My advice would be don't come here if you want to go Northeast or if you're paying full tuition. Personally, I wanted to stay in the deep south and I wasn't willing to take out the 80k+ loans I would have needed at other schools. I think it would be idiotic to come to Emory if you wouldn't be content with staying in the Southeast.

edit: I'm a 1L at Emory.

So they're 280 or so 1Ls or 2Ls? Either way, man, that was really dumb.

1Ls. The 2L class is the normal 190-205. Remember that UVA had the same issue for the c/o 2013, they overextended their class offers and ended up giving out extra scholarship money to get people to defer. I think that Emory may have done the same thing, but not to as great of an extent.

Aqualibrium wrote: The bolded portion is what many people were/are doing though.

Yeah but a significant minority want to go NE. This thread is also called "opportunities from Emory" and I wanted to make it clear to the OP and others reading the thread that, personally, I would not advise going to Emory if your primary desire is to work in the Northeast.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Just to correct the facts:

3L class at Emory is ~ 237
2L class is ~248 give or take 10 or so due to incoming/outgoing transfers. This is the traditional size.
1L class is 280-290. over enrolled, but only by about 30-40 which is not nearly as bad as it was being portrayed as a 80-90 over enrollment.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 pm

treeey86 wrote:Just to correct the facts:

2L class is ~248 give or take 10 or so due to incoming/outgoing transfers. This is the traditional size.
1L class is 280-290. over enrolled, but only by about 30-40 which is not nearly as bad as it was being portrayed as a 80-90 over enrollment.

I don't understand why they don't just boost enrollment to around 300 permanently. About 40 people end up getting their dream of paying sticker at Emory, and the school gets 40 or so additional sources of income. Win.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

I don't understand why they don't just boost enrollment to around 300 permanently. About 40 people end up getting their dream of paying sticker at Emory, and the school gets 40 or so additional sources of income. Win.

Maybe they still have a shred of commitment to ensuring decent employment outcomes for a significant portion of their students. But that's no way to get ahead. Dolla dolla billz yall.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Why doesnt a school try only taking 100 1L students then taking 100-150 transfers. Give out 100 full rides. Game the system.

lol

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

Whoops sorry for the numbers screw up. I thought there was a bigger gap between this class and other classes. I heard the wrong numbers being thrown around.

DempseyLaw

Postby DempseyLaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:28 am

Just thought I would throw in the employment stats that I found for the class that just graduated, 2009:

93% reported employment within 6 months after graduation with the following: (rough percentages)

25 % at firms w 501+ attorneys - avg salary 147k

11 % at firms w 251-500 attorneys - avg salary 150k

7% at firms w 101-250 attorneys - avg salary 127k

7% at firms w 25-100 attorneys - salary range 70-115k

That is roughly 50% of those 93% reporting their information. The rest: 8% got judicial clerkships, 10% went to business, and the rest either went to law firms with under 25 attorneys, PI, academia, government or military.

I happened to have talked to a career counselor there who said that less than 20 students total in the class did not report their employment info, so these stats are pretty accurate. She also said, of the 7 % who were unemployed several were traveling. I have a feeling that some of those unemployed were out of state students trying to take their degree back to their home state as opposed to staying in ATL where Emory's reputation can hold its own. I assume this is because their national demographic is pretty diverse so I imagine several students attempted to take their degree to Cali, Wash, etc. with less luck (only 20% of the students are actually from GA).

http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/care ... -11-10.pdf

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 am

DempseyLaw wrote:Just thought I would throw in the employment stats that I found for the class that just graduated, 2009:

93% reported employment within 6 months after graduation with the following: (rough percentages)

That is roughly 50% of those 93% reporting their information. The rest: 8% got judicial clerkships, 10% went to business, and the rest either went to law firms with under 25 attorneys, PI, academia, government or military.

I happened to have talked to a career counselor there who said that less than 20 students total in the class did not report their employment info, so these stats are pretty accurate. She also said, of the 7 % who were unemployed several were traveling. I have a feeling that some of those unemployed were out of state students trying to take their degree back to their home state as opposed to staying in ATL where Emory's reputation can hold its own. I assume this is because their national demographic is pretty diverse so I imagine several students attempted to take their degree to Cali, Wash, etc. with less luck (only 20% of the students are actually from GA).

For doing OCI in 2007, this seems about right. The heady years of the mid-2000s- a bygone era.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
DempseyLaw wrote:Just thought I would throw in the employment stats that I found for the class that just graduated, 2009:

For doing OCI in 2007, this seems about right. The heady years of the mid-2000s- a bygone era.

+1.
Like that nelly song "just a dream"

DempseyLaw

Postby DempseyLaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Agreed. The career counselor even mentioned that the statistics were high because they represented offers from the OCI in 2007. Only the 2010 numbers will show how hard the OCI in 2008 were hit.

Return to “Legal Employment”