International Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iphone7

International Law

Postby iphone7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56 am

I am a 0L who is considering going into International Trade Law. I am interested in how business interactions work in different countries and I would like to help globalization spread in ways that don't ruin people's lives. This being said, how essential is it that someone be fluent in another language to practice international law? I spent a summer in Ecuador and have basic Spanish skills and so do you guys think that I absolutely need to increase those skills and spend more time in other countries in order to even have a shot at being hired in an international law firm?

FlightoftheEarls

Re: International Law

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 am

IBAIA.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 am

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 am

This never gets old.. Ever...

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 am

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:43 am

rad law wrote:If no one's gonna post it, I might as well.

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/11/international_law_believe_the_hype

I hope you're happy... You might have stamped this mess out before it even got started... Jerk.. :D

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:51 am

reasonable_man wrote:

I hope you're happy... You might have stamped this mess out before it even got started... Jerk.. :D

Just for you, RM a collection of responses

- the typical - "lol no there are NO jobs in int'l law"

- the reasoned - "Basically no one works defending the interest of the victims of globalization, whatever that means. It's more likely you will help companies exploit the third world. Enjoy."

- the moderately encouraging - "Go to HYS for the best shot at whatever jobs are in this field."

- the deliberately misleading - "go to the school with the best int'l program. I hear Nova Southeastern has an awesome one."

- the naive - "Don't listen to these naysayers and prestige-whores. I will go to Pace, where I know I will make top 10% and get a job doing international environmental protection. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. My mom told me I was a special snowflake and she is never wrong!"

- the silly - "I hear there are great employment prospects in int'l dogbite law ITE."

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 am

rad law wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Just for you, RM a collection of responses

- the typical - "lol no there are NO jobs in int'l law"

- the reasoned - "Basically no one works defending the interest of the victims of globalization, whatever that means. It's more likely you will help companies exploit the third world. Enjoy."

- the moderately encouraging - "Go to HYS for the best shot at whatever jobs are in this field."

- the deliberately misleading - "go to the school with the best int'l program. I hear Nova Southeastern has an awesome one."

- the naive - "Don't listen to these naysayers and prestige-whores. I will go to Pace, where I know I will make top 10% and get a job doing international environmental protection. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. My mom told me I was a special snowflake and she is never wrong!"

- the silly - "I hear there are great employment prospects in int'l dogbite law ITE."

Thank you... Now I can go to bed lol...

Return to “Legal Employment”