NY bar application -- affidavit question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NewHere

NY bar application -- affidavit question

Postby NewHere » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Do clinics count as legal employment, requiring an affidavit from the professor?
Does pro bono work (not for course credit) count as legal employment, requiring an affidavit from the supervisor?
If you worked for multiple professors, does that count as one employer (i.e., one affidavit, from the law school), or does each of them fill out an affidavit?

NewHere

Re: NY bar application -- affidavit question

Postby NewHere » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Nobody?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Give the First Dept. or the Appellate Div. a call to be on the safe side?

I passed the bar!!

Postby I passed the bar!! » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 pm

I had the same question, and this is what I found:
… two Affidavits of Good Moral Character, and Legal Employment Affidavits from every law-related position you have held, including paid or unpaid internships, summer associate positions, volunteer work in law school clinics or elsewhere.
[retrieved from http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/comm ... ndex.shtml]

:lol:

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Follow-up question. Do your affidavits have to be typed out too or can you print then fax/scan & email them to your old bosses or clinic professors to have them fill it out by hand? Same question on the character affidavits.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 pm

chris0805 wrote:Follow-up question. Do your affidavits have to be typed out too or can you print then fax/scan & email them to your old bosses or clinic professors to have them fill it out by hand? Same question on the character affidavits.

E-mail them and then have them send you the original hard copies back. Its always better to have original documents. Not a per se rule, but its just better.

For those of you applying in the Second Department, get your apps in FAST. They take FOREVER to get through them.. You don't want to be waiting around forever just to have your C&F interview..

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks, "I passed the bar!!"

Chris, I think handwritten is fine. They do say that the form we fill out needs to be typed, but affidavits can be handwritten, but I can't imagine they would force affiants who might be all sorts of people with all sorts of technology to do a typed document.

Another follow-up question: how long do you wait to re-email or call a legal employer who has not responded to your initial e-mail asking for an affidavit? Also: any suggestions on how to phrase in a friendly way something that is essentially "Pleeeeeeaaaaaase fill out this form, and do it as soon as possible. It's only five minutes for you, but without your help I can't file the application!"?

Return to “Legal Employment”