"Bootstrap" Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Bootstrap" Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi all,

I hope I'm not abusing the Anon function with this post. I read the rules, but I wasn't sure whether associating my usertag with a thread about this topic might be a bad idea. If a forum person "outs" me, then I suppose it was worth the risk. Anywho:

I'm writing to ask about what I'm terming "Bootstrap" firms, i.e. firms that are more open to people who went to a relatively low-ranking undergraduate institution compared to his or her law school. I've been looking at the V100 list and whatnot, and I'm trying to learn a bit about it. I'm currently attending a HYS but went to a crap undergraduate college, and I'm wondering whether there are particular firms in the upper region of the V100 that are known for reaching for folks who might have gone to an obscure college but made their way to a better law school.

Or is this all a nonissue? I know it wasn't a big deal years ago, but I don't know whether it's different ITE.

nealric

Re: "Bootstrap" Firms

Postby nealric » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it's still a non-issue. They only care where you go to law school.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I hope I'm not abusing the Anon function with this post. I read the rules, but I wasn't sure whether associating my usertag with a thread about this topic might be a bad idea. If a forum person "outs" me, then I suppose it was worth the risk. Anywho:

I'm writing to ask about what I'm terming "Bootstrap" firms, i.e. firms that are more open to people who went to a relatively low-ranking undergraduate institution compared to his or her law school. I've been looking at the V100 list and whatnot, and I'm trying to learn a bit about it. I'm currently attending a HYS but went to a crap undergraduate college, and I'm wondering whether there are particular firms in the upper region of the V100 that are known for reaching for folks who might have gone to an obscure college but made their way to a better law school.

Or is this all a nonissue? I know it wasn't a big deal years ago, but I don't know whether it's different ITE.

How's Cambridge?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

How's Cambridge?

Condescending about his undergrad, apparently

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 am

Went to a Tier 4 undergrad and had offers from multiple V5s and V10s with top quarter grades at an MVP.

They. Don't. Care.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 am

I think it matters at the margins and to some firms more than others. However, I think that your undergrad will not shut you out of any firm if your LS credentials are good enough.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Almost all major firms are "bootstrap" firms, as OP has defined that term in this thread.

Return to “Legal Employment”