MBA after JD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

MBA after JD

Postby danquayle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 pm

I currently work in a Fortune 500 legal department. I recently was admitted into a top 10 MBA's evening program. I would like to transition to more of managerial role within my company or consulting... but I'm not holding my breath. My company will likely not pick up any of the tab...

Worth it?

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: MBA after JD

Postby clintonius » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Why ask a bunch of lawyers, lawyers-in-training and wannabe-lawyers-in-training whether you should get an MBA?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: MBA after JD

Postby danquayle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 am

clintonius wrote:Why ask a bunch of lawyers, lawyers-in-training and wannabe-lawyers-in-training whether you should get an MBA?


It's unrealistic to think a lawyer who has done the same might be on these threads? Why go out of your way to post douchey and unhelpful response?

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby Noval » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:26 pm

danquayle wrote:I currently work in a Fortune 500 legal department. I recently was admitted into a top 10 MBA's evening program. I would like to transition to more of managerial role within my company or consulting... but I'm not holding my breath. My company will likely not pick up any of the tab...

Worth it?


You should ask them in a nice way to let you take some time off to get that MBA

Telling them the good things than an MBA will bring to the company will increase your chances to have a job straight out the MBA.
Tell them that you plan on working there after your studies and they should accept.

Anyways, if you were able to get a Fortune 500 position before your MBA, it's logic that you will have a good shot on similar, if not better positions after your MBA, especially if it's from a Top-10 Business School.

Do it, getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: MBA after JD

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Noval wrote: getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.


Eh, not really. MIT actively encourages students straight out of undergrad. I took the GMAT over 2.5 years ago, and they still won't get off my balls about their MBA program.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 am

I can think of one good reason to get an MBA after law school: You don't want to practice law. Ideally, however, that should be something you figure out BEFORE getting a JD.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:43 pm

SBL wrote:I can think of one good reason to get an MBA after law school: You don't want to practice law. Ideally, however, that should be something you figure out BEFORE getting a JD.



Have you ever thought about the possible exit opportunities a Top MBA can offer ?

This guy is In-House, getting an MBA can only benefit him + Not everyone wants to stay a Lawyer for ever.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Noval wrote: getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.


Eh, not really. MIT actively encourages students straight out of undergrad. I took the GMAT over 2.5 years ago, and they still won't get off my balls about their MBA program.



Oh, just because MIT wants you in their MBA program, you automatically assume they want everyone in their program as well ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYHGrkE31c

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:11 pm

Noval wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Noval wrote: getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.


Eh, not really. MIT actively encourages students straight out of undergrad. I took the GMAT over 2.5 years ago, and they still won't get off my balls about their MBA program.



Oh, just because MIT wants you in their MBA program, you automatically assume they want everyone in their program as well ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYHGrkE31c

TBH, I'd take an MIT Sloane MBA before anything other than YHS for law. It just seems like a way better investment of time and money.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: MBA after JD

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:05 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Noval wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Noval wrote: getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.


Eh, not really. MIT actively encourages students straight out of undergrad. I took the GMAT over 2.5 years ago, and they still won't get off my balls about their MBA program.



Oh, just because MIT wants you in their MBA program, you automatically assume they want everyone in their program as well ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYHGrkE31c

TBH, I'd take an MIT Sloane MBA before anything other than YHS for law. It just seems like a way better investment of time and money.


I have to agree on this one, good point, but "if" you find a way to somehow pay a part or all your Law Studies, then you should obviously go for a T14.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: MBA after JD

Postby danquayle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Noval wrote:
danquayle wrote:I currently work in a Fortune 500 legal department. I recently was admitted into a top 10 MBA's evening program. I would like to transition to more of managerial role within my company or consulting... but I'm not holding my breath. My company will likely not pick up any of the tab...

Worth it?


You should ask them in a nice way to let you take some time off to get that MBA

Telling them the good things than an MBA will bring to the company will increase your chances to have a job straight out the MBA.
Tell them that you plan on working there after your studies and they should accept.

Anyways, if you were able to get a Fortune 500 position before your MBA, it's logic that you will have a good shot on similar, if not better positions after your MBA, especially if it's from a Top-10 Business School.

Do it, getting accepted to these programs is tough and this chance may never come back.


Thanks for the responses.

This was my thinking too. Already as it is, I do a fair amount of what would be categorized as business type work. While everything I do has a legal/contract component to it, I also typically provide business advice when providing legal counsel. I find myself enjoying the "business" aspect of my job more than the "legal" aspect.

So to your point SBL, it would be essentially to solidify a transition that's already somewhat underway.

Edit: I'm not considering taking time off to pursue another degree. After 7 years of full time school, I can't imagine foregoing 2 more years of income and experience.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.