Is Being A Lawyer Good Work Experience for an MBA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Being A Lawyer Good Work Experience for an MBA?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:28 am

I am thinking of getting an MBA. As most of you know, MBA admissions committee regard work experience as one of the most important factors for admission.

Is being a lawyer, particularly a commercial lawyer for two to four years, good enough work experience? Or are MBA admission committees looking for a different type of work experience?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Silver

Re: Is Being A Lawyer Good Work Experience for an MBA?

Post by Kabuo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:30 am

You're wondering if spending 3 years in law school, followed by 2-4 years in corporate law will be good work experience for getting an MBA? Wtf. Why don't you just get the JD/MBA combo. Your case is actually one where it would cost effective. Plus, you can get into some very good MBA programs just based on your LSAT.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:41 am

Get a job. Its cheaper/better on the your MBA app.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Any other responses?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:58 pm

If you're a litigator, absolutely not.

Transactional may be better, but there are still a ton of other jobs that look better than being a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking of getting an MBA. As most of you know, MBA admissions committee regard work experience as one of the most important factors for admission.

Is being a lawyer, particularly a commercial lawyer for two to four years, good enough work experience? Or are MBA admission committees looking for a different type of work experience?
Why do you want an MBA? What are your career aspirations?

This is generally a bad idea, being a lawyer is a career not a job. An MBA is not an investment that will yield significant returns for an attorney who is already practicing, so it would almost always be a bad idea. If you don't want to be an attorney or in a legal related position, then you shouldn't waste your time in law school.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:03 pm

This is like raising a chicken so you can get a dozen eggs.

ibanker

New

Post by ibanker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Not if you are trying to get into finance.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking of getting an MBA. As most of you know, MBA admissions committee regard work experience as one of the most important factors for admission.

WHY WOULD YOU SPEND $150k-200k ON A PROFESSIONAL DEGREE JUST TO "GET INTO" AN MBA PROGRAM?!

Law school is for becoming a lawyer. Lawyers are professionals, not just some sort of 'job' for you to bide your time at for getting an MBA.

You need to get a real job and spend some time in the real world if this is your best idea for the future.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

WHY WOULD YOU SPEND $150k-200k ON A PROFESSIONAL DEGREE JUST TO "GET INTO" AN MBA PROGRAM?!

Law school is for becoming a lawyer. Lawyers are professionals, not just some sort of 'job' for you to bide your time at for getting an MBA.

You need to get a real job and spend some time in the real world if this is your best idea for the future.
This.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Depends.

Although it's rather time consuming, working with a JD for a few years could probably leverage you if you're going for a top MBA.

I don't know about you guys, but if Harvard/Wharton/Stanford told me that I could get into their program post JD - I'd go for it. You'd have to be retarded not to. Seriously, who would argue that V100 Partner > Fortune 500 CEO?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 pm

^lulz

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 pm

clintonius wrote:^lulz
LOLWUT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Depends.

Although it's rather time consuming, working with a JD for a few years could probably leverage you if you're going for a top MBA.

I don't know about you guys, but if Harvard/Wharton/Stanford told me that I could get into their program post JD - I'd go for it. You'd have to be retarded not to. Seriously, who would argue that V100 Partner > Fortune 500 CEO?
because clearly everyone who goes to Wharton ends up being the CEO of a Fortune 500.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Tsispilos wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Depends.

because clearly everyone who goes to Wharton ends up being the CEO of a Fortune 500.
because clearly everyone who goes to Penn(sorry, it just fits - but you get the jist) ends up being a partner of a V100.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:20 pm

But the odds are comparable.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:20 pm

I'd say

2 years iBanking
= 2 years consulting at top consulting firm
= 3 years mid-level banking/consulting
= 4 years accounting or small finance firm
= 4 years biglaw (corporate)
= 5 years IT/engineering
= 5 years biglaw/botique (non-corporate)
= 7 years shitlaw

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 pm

I know a couple people that did JD -> Couple Years Government/Regulatory -> Kellogg

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Black-Blue wrote:

I'd say

2 years iBanking
= 5 years IT/engineering
= 7 years shitlaw
and
=1.5 years Hedge fund/venture capital

I don't know what your plan is OP but if you're just looking to switch careers a headhunter might be a better investment.

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:34 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
Black-Blue wrote:

I'd say

2 years iBanking
= 5 years IT/engineering
= 7 years shitlaw
and
=1.5 years Hedge fund/venture capital
Can you even do hedge fund/ venture capital without an MBA? You don't just walk into Bridgewater and get a job...

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 am

Funny you should mention Bridgewater. My friend just got a job at Bridgewater with no MBA.

I also think going into law for MBA work experience is a retarded idea. Despite the idiocy, you have to be one ambitious motherfucker to want to go back for an MBA after 3-4 years of BigLaw hell. How much steak can a man eat?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:47 am

180orbust wrote:Funny you should mention Bridgewater. My friend just got a job at Bridgewater with no MBA.

I also think going into law for MBA work experience is a retarded idea. Despite the idiocy, you have to be one ambitious motherfucker to want to go back for an MBA after 3-4 years of BigLaw hell. How much steak can a man eat?
Big ups to your buddy... is he some kind of financial mastermind?

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:58 am

Kswizzie wrote:
180orbust wrote:Funny you should mention Bridgewater. My friend just got a job at Bridgewater with no MBA.

I don't think he is, but I wouldn't know. He had a couple years of previous experience doing something else financial that I couldn't understand.

I don't think his current position at Bridgewater is one that typically requires an MBA. Another friend of mine does similar work for a Swiss bank in NY, and she doesn't have an MBA either. They are traders of some sort, not managers, a few years out of college... does that make more sense?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:46 am

180orbust wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:

I don't think he is, but I wouldn't know. He had a couple years of previous experience doing something else financial that I couldn't understand.

I don't think his current position at Bridgewater is one that typically requires an MBA. Another friend of mine does similar work for a Swiss bank in NY, and she doesn't have an MBA either. They are traders of some sort, not managers, a few years out of college... does that make more sense?
Traders don't give a shit where you came from as long as you make money. The people in VC/IB/PE are more prestige whorish.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”