Associate Bonuses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Associate Bonuses

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Is it true what certain people say re: padding of 15-20% being an "unspoken norm?"

(Same poster as above)

I really don't know. I try to be as honest as possible. And what other associates bill seems generally commensurate with the hours I see them spend in the office.
Then again, for all I know, the partner could be writing down my hours before sending them off to clients.

Murky territory. I agree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:40 pm

What exactly were/are the pre-2007 "special" bonuses? Are they bonuses on top of the additional bonus for associates who bill extra hours?

By next spring, the Fortune 500 companies will have the same earnings as they did before the recession. With this fact in mind, and perhaps unwarrentedly assuming that the profits of the Fortune 500 translate to profits in law firms, has there been any discussion or rumors on reinstituting the pre-2007 bonus structure?

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just because you're the moron who let the Partners abuse you doesn't mean you "deserve more"...

If you're forced to bill 2,900 hours then you're just getting ripped off down the line, the firm i work at has a 1900 hour cut-off and at 2000 you're sure to keep your job, + my Bonus in 2009 was 40k with a base of 145k, not bad considering i did 2,300 hours and my Partners somehow "like my attitude" ...

PS:I know, it's Canadian BigLaw, but our firm's structure is the same as U.S. Firms.

Whoa, a little hostile there aren't we? I'm glad your cute little Canadian firm treats you so well.

I'm also glad you're tough enough to not commit suicide after you get OCI Raped. :mrgreen:

Return to “Legal Employment”