Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What to wear to the interview?

Suit
12
15%
Business Casual (Tie)
15
19%
Business Casual (No Tie)
33
41%
Nice Casual Clothes (Polo, Nice Jeans)
20
25%
 
Total votes: 80

Anonymous User
Posts: 273331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I have an interview with a professor tomorrow for a research assistant position.

The professor is kind of old, but I don't know that he's old fashioned.

The interview is only going to be about 20 minutes.

I don't want to risk looking like a DB by walking in there in a suit. Even business casual seems a bit dressy for me. But it is a job interview, and he is old (which I just presume to mean old fashioned).

Your thoughts?

ajaj46
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby ajaj46 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm

i'm no authority--i was an RA just one semester and only did one interview--but i went in shorts. it was july in new york, fwiw. that being said, i think anything more than a shirt with a collar and khakis is overkill

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm

I voted nice casual, but really I think you should wear a polo and slacks...no need for a dress shirt or a tie, but jeans may be a little too casual. Either way, wear dark shoes, not sneakers, and don't worry about the clothes. They will not be determinative of whether or not you get the position.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 pm

What does your prof wear everyday?

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby James Bond » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Just look put together. Khaki's and a polo/sweater. Maybe an oxford shirt if that's your thing. Nice shoes. Belt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:02 am

Aqualibrium wrote:What does your prof wear everyday?


He wears khakis and a button up. That's a clever thought... maybe I'll emulate him.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:What does your prof wear everyday?


He wears khakis and a button up. That's a clever thought... maybe I'll emulate him.



Pretty much...

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby king3780 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:What does your prof wear everyday?


He wears khakis and a button up. That's a clever thought... maybe I'll emulate him.



Pretty much...


This sounds like a safe bet. FWIW, I had a late afternoon interview for an RA position and just wore the jeans and polo shirt I had worn to school that day and still got the gig.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Bankhead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 am

Absolutely not necessary to wear a suit.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby kurla88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I'd say business casual, no tie. Something that looks like you might have been wearing it all day and you just dress that way for school - but is secretly nicer than usual. ;)

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Bosque » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:40 pm

I want to hear from the 5 schmucks who voted suit. I want to know what their deal is. Did they not read the title? Are they just perpetually overdressed? Or are their law schools' RA hiring processes significantly different than mine?

User avatar
straxen
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby straxen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Temporarily resurrecting this thread in order to properly plan my cleaning. :P

Would anyone disagree with the general consensus on business casual/no suit rule if the professor happened to be a certain leading proceduralist famous for never wearing anything apart from a three-piece suit? Debating between niceish business casual and suit no tie.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:51 pm

No way a suit would be necessary (or even appropriate for a situation like this). Grab a nice polo and some khakis and you are set.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Isn't the general rule to not be more dressed up than your interviewer (though erring on the side of suit if you can't tell what they will wear)?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 pm

straxen wrote:Temporarily resurrecting this thread in order to properly plan my cleaning. :P

Would anyone disagree with the general consensus on business casual/no suit rule if the professor happened to be a certain leading proceduralist famous for never wearing anything apart from a three-piece suit? Debating between niceish business casual and suit no tie.


I would wear whatever you would wear to class. If you're really concerned ask his secretary.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I vote business casual...decent pants and a button up shirt (no tie) would be solid...I would always think it would be best to dress one step above for the interview

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:08 pm

i vote tie (bus. casual) because he's old. do you have a bow-tie by chance? possibly some bonus points for you to earn there.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:i vote tie (bus. casual) because he's old. do you have a bow-tie by chance? possibly some bonus points for you to earn there.


hahaha i think bow-ties r ridiculous...my UG president wears one everywhere and it just makes me giggle

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm

justhockey31 wrote:hahaha i think bow-ties r ridiculous...my UG president wears one everywhere and it just makes me giggle


Gordon Gee FTW

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:hahaha i think bow-ties r ridiculous...my UG president wears one everywhere and it just makes me giggle


Gordon Gee FTW


Correct, I see him all the time around Ohio State's campus and even at the bars downtown and he's ALWAYS wearing that goofy bow tie lol

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:hahaha i think bow-ties r ridiculous...my UG president wears one everywhere and it just makes me giggle


Gordon Gee FTW


Correct, I see him all the time around Ohio State's campus and even at the bars downtown and he's ALWAYS wearing that goofy bow tie lol


Ya, hes the man.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby zomginternets » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Ok I guess I'll be the one to defend the full suit (minus the coat if it's really hot).

I think it's difficult to be overdressed for an interview. I think it shows that you're serious about the professor, his research, and getting the position. I'm sure >50% of professors wouldn't care if you came dressed in shorts and slippers, but there's no point in taking the risk of offending an old-school professor (who might not necessarily be an old person btw) and not getting the RA job just because you didn't wear a suit. Our criminal law professor specifically advised our 1L class to wear a suit to RA interviews.

Bottom line: I've never heard of someone not being hired for a job because they wore a suit; but everyone and their mom have heard stories of someone not being hired solely because they didn't wear a suit.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 am

zomginternets wrote:Ok I guess I'll be the one to defend the full suit (minus the coat if it's really hot).

I think it's difficult to be overdressed for an interview. I think it shows that you're serious about the professor, his research, and getting the position. I'm sure >50% of professors wouldn't care if you came dressed in shorts and slippers, but there's no point in taking the risk of offending an old-school professor (who might not necessarily be an old person btw) and not getting the RA job just because you didn't wear a suit. Our criminal law professor specifically advised our 1L class to wear a suit to RA interviews.

Bottom line: I've never heard of someone not being hired for a job because they wore a suit; but everyone and their mom have heard stories of someone not being hired solely because they didn't wear a suit.


Topic Title: Interview...Tomorrow

Date posted: November 10th, 2010

Date you replied: January 26th, 2011

LjakW
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby LjakW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 pm

straxen wrote:Temporarily resurrecting this thread in order to properly plan my cleaning. :P

Would anyone disagree with the general consensus on business casual/no suit rule if the professor happened to be a certain leading proceduralist famous for never wearing anything apart from a three-piece suit? Debating between niceish business casual and suit no tie.

You should wear a three-piecer to interview with Arthur. I think he'd appreciate it.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Interview with Prof. for RA Position Tomorrow - Suit???

Postby zomginternets » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
zomginternets wrote:Ok I guess I'll be the one to defend the full suit (minus the coat if it's really hot).

I think it's difficult to be overdressed for an interview. I think it shows that you're serious about the professor, his research, and getting the position. I'm sure >50% of professors wouldn't care if you came dressed in shorts and slippers, but there's no point in taking the risk of offending an old-school professor (who might not necessarily be an old person btw) and not getting the RA job just because you didn't wear a suit. Our criminal law professor specifically advised our 1L class to wear a suit to RA interviews.

Bottom line: I've never heard of someone not being hired for a job because they wore a suit; but everyone and their mom have heard stories of someone not being hired solely because they didn't wear a suit.


Topic Title: Interview...Tomorrow

Date posted: November 10th, 2010

Date you replied: January 26th, 2011


... Date resurrected: January 26th, 2011.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.