New York SAs: Have you heard from your firm post-acceptance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spondee

Re: New York SAs: Have you heard from your firm post-acceptance?

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 am

MrKappus wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:NYU is highly credited. They have nice dorms that are stupidly close to not as far away from midtown and the financial district as other places you could live. I don't know if Columbia runs a similar plan but if you don't mind the travel and brown people, their dorms are very very nice.

ftfy.

I wouldn't call the Village "stupidly close" to midtown or financial district. In rush hour, you're looking at a 25-30 min 5-10 min subway ride uptown, and about the same downtown. And it's not walkable, unless you enjoy 1.5 miles hikes in NYC summer heat. Granted, you can live farther away from midtown/FD than NYU, but it's not even close to "stupidly close."

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 am

spondee wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:NYU is highly credited. They have nice dorms that are stupidly close to not as far away from midtown and the financial district as other places you could live. I don't know if Columbia runs a similar plan but if you don't mind the travel and brown people, their dorms are very very nice.

ftfy.

I wouldn't call the Village "stupidly close" to midtown or financial district. In rush hour, you're looking at a 25-30 min 5-10 min subway ride uptown, and about the same downtown. And it's not walkable, unless you enjoy 1.5 miles hikes in NYC summer heat. Granted, you can live farther away from midtown/FD than NYU, but it's not even close to "stupidly close."

Five minutes from Bleeker to Grand Central in rush hour. You might spend five minutes in a single station while people get out and cram into the train. Thanks for your "help," but you're wrong.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Ok, I exaggerated a little bit. It's probably closer to a 12 min subway ride from West 4th to Midtown East - take the E/M. To Midtown West, take the B/D, and it will definitely be less than 10 min. Add 3 minutes if you're getting on at Broadway–Lafayette. Taking the 4/5/6 during rush hour when there are alternatives is a rookie mistake.

You're right that it's not "stupidly close," but don't mislead people in the other direction when they may not know better and may be weighing different living options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm

The only thing I've gotten from K&E is an email about housing suggestions. I don't expect to hear more until January.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 pm

spondee wrote:Ok, I exaggerated a little bit. It's probably closer to a 12 min subway ride from West 4th to Midtown East - take the E/M. To Midtown West, take the B/D, and it will definitely be less than 10 min. Add 3 minutes if you're getting on at Broadway–Lafayette. Taking the 4/5/6 during rush hour when there are alternatives is a rookie mistake.

You're right that it's not "stupidly close," but don't mislead people in the other direction when they may not know better and may be weighing different living options.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to jump down your throat, but if someone's never lived in NYC, they might truly have thought you meant that it takes 5-10 minutes to get from Greenwich Village to Midtown in morning rush hour, or that it was 'stupidly close,' and that's a bit of an exaggeration. That said, I think I went a little too much in the other direction. Train ride's probably 15-20.

Also, ENGRAVED iPODS!!??

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:What type of rent are we looking at for these places?

last year people were anywhere from 800ish for 1BR in 3BR to 1500ish for a studio. Not close to midtown/dt, and not in the coolest neighborhood, but less likely to get sketch roommates and sublettors (vs. CL), and they're furnished.

edit: crap, accidental anon

That sounds like a great deal, actually. Other furnished places I see on CL are absurdly expensive. Given that I'm only gonna be there 12 weeks, this may be the place for me.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only thing I've gotten from K&E is an email about housing suggestions. I don't expect to hear more until January.

That's all I've gotten too. Still, it's more than another firm offered me last year. I had to call to inquire about living, and they said, "just live where ever you want." Great, thanks. I ended up making a huge mistake for my living accommodations.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm

When are ya'll starting to look for NY housing?

LLKOOLK1

Postby LLKOOLK1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:38 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:When are ya'll starting to look for NY housing?

Im probably going to wait to hear from the firm first (dec-jan they said), until then ill just keep checking CL to get a feel for what I might be looking at $$ wise...any recommendations would be great

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:40 am

LLKOOLK1 wrote:any recommendations would be great

New avatar?

LLKOOLK1

Postby LLKOOLK1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 am

JazzOne wrote:

New avatar?

im confused, this coming from the .5/.10 cent full tilt poker pro? Please

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 am

LLKOOLK1 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

New avatar?

im confused, this coming from the .5/.10 cent full tilt poker pro? Please

I was just playing, but it's even funnier now that you got all butt hurt. I appreciate your willingness to take advice, though!

LLKOOLK1

Postby LLKOOLK1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:51 am

Butt hurt? Haha, there is some weird people kicking around on here. Probably got tormented in high school.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:57 am

LLKOOLK1 wrote:Butt hurt? Haha, there is some weird people kicking around on here. Probably got tormented in high school.

I'm not the one who can't take a joke, but whatever. Carry on, tough guy.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 pm

well you probably won't be riding the train every day at rush hour subway times. yay?

oh i guess as a SA you might. you probably don't want to roll in at 10-11 like some (later staying) associates do. nm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:47 pm

If anyone is interested in sharing an apartment close to midtown / UES / village, and you're a female working in NYC over the summer for 10 wks, feel free to PM me... I've seen a couple 2 bdrms for 3-4K which wouldn't be bad to split. I'm a 25 yr old (female) Duke 2L and would definitely be interested in starting a dialogue as to next summer housing. I'll be working Midtown in the MetLife bldg.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:53 pm

any recommendations would be great

Cheepskate dorm-style option:

http://www.loftstel.com/

I lived in the bed-stuy (brooklyn) location my SA summer. 1/2 commute to work. IIRC it was about $500/month.

ASM11

Postby ASM11 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:07 pm

LLKOOLK1 wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:When are ya'll starting to look for NY housing?

Im probably going to wait to hear from the firm first (dec-jan they said), until then ill just keep checking CL to get a feel for what I might be looking at $$ wise...any recommendations would be great

It really depends on your budget (and whether or not you're on one). If you're looking to save money, sharing a place is the best option. Columbia housing is an ok deal, you might even find a better deal from Columbia students who live in the area in non-columbia housing. Another way to save $$ is to not live in Manhattan. Astoria and Brooklyn are two places where you might be able to find a good deal, but it depends what your needs are and how you feel about commuting.

It seems like the village is a really popular area, but I think it's not worth it. You can get a studio elsewhere that's the same price as a tiny bedroom in the village. But again, depends on willingness to spend and how important location is.

There are some good deals in midtown east, since it's actually not such a residential area. Places all the way east, on 1st Ave-ish, are usually a little cheaper. I know some people who have pretty good deals on rent in that area, and it's a bearable walk away from a ton of law firms.

Also, keep in mind that if you're commuting, the distance from your apt to a subway could be as important if not more important than how far you are from where you work. (I live farther away from midtown but I can get there faster than my friend who lives near midtown but farther from the subway)

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm

This post is my reminder to save some fucking money from next semester's fin aid so I can actually get an apt before my first paycheck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:42 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:This post is my reminder to save some fucking money from next semester's fin aid so I can actually get an apt before my first paycheck
Do firms advance a paycheck for this?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:This post is my reminder to save some fucking money from next semester's fin aid so I can actually get an apt before my first paycheck
Do firms advance a paycheck for this?

Some do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:25 pm

bump. curious what kind of communication there has been, if any.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:36 pm

holiday communication. phew.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump. curious what kind of communication there has been, if any.

Just an invite to their 1L holiday party...I wouldn't expect much of anything else until after the new year

Return to “Legal Employment”